Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Whole Wheat Bread

I've had some requests for the bread recipe I used. It makes 4 loaves. I cut the recipe in half & made just two loaves to see if that would cover our needs. Here is the original recipe:

12 c. wheat flour
1 c. white flour
2 Tbsp. yeast
5 c. hot water
1 c. honey
1 c. olive oil
2 Tbsp. salt

dissolve the yeast in hot water. Add 4 cups of the wheat flour. Add honey & olive oil & let rest 10 minutes. Mix in rest of wheat flour, white flour & salt. Turn dough out onto floured surface & knead. Shape into loaves & place in greased bread pans. Let rise in warm place until double in size. Bake at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes.

A couple things:

* I used my stand mixer to do most of the kneading. Use your dough hooks. You can do the same with your handheld mixer. When kneading, keep adding flour (wheat or white...whichever) until the dough no longer feels sticky.

*Watch it when it's baking. About halfway through the baking time, or once the bread is nice & golden on top, place a tin foil tent over them so they don't get too done on top. Don't seal the tin foil over the bread, just a loose tent to protect it.

Hope this makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions. We ate half a loaf on Sunday for our "snack". We've already cut into our second loaf today.

7 comments:

Ipuna said...

thanks

Ipuna said...

OH, one more thing. What kind of yeast? I am assuming it's the regular and not the fast rising yeast? I am not good at these things so I need to know exactly what to do:) Or I will mess it up.

Candace said...

I think you can use either kind. I thought mine is just a normal yeast....but it says "rapid rise" on it.

Ipuna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ipuna said...

I want to try this, but this may be another stupid question
What are dough hooks? I only have a handheld mixer with 6 speeds to choose from. Can I use that? If so, what speed should I put it on? The lowest? THANKS!

kellymccaleb said...

you are the cutest thing ever!
i have been looking through your archives, thouroughly enjoying a little peak into another young mama's world. you also look so familiar to me, i don't know why. my little sister that's married lives in rexburg. nicole and tyler boice. we go up to see them all the time, and are considering moving there when my dh graduates. crazy! but i kinda want a country life, haha! we should be friends!!

Heather said...

Thanks for the recipe! Made it tonight and my loaves actually turned out. Tastes fabulous!

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...