Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Library Books & Reading & Sleeping

I have loved taking Sadie to the library. The Lakewood Library is amazing. We usually get 5 books & 1 DVD for her each time we go. They have tons of DVDs, so we took her off of our Netflix queue. Might as well save a few dollars, right?

She seems to have one book from the selection that becomes her favorite. Last week it was Edwina, The Dinosaur Who Didn't Know She Was Extinct by Mo Willems. It was so cute to hear her say "Dinosaurs STINKED!!" & knowing she really wasn't totally grasping what extinct meant.

This week her favorite has been Emily's Balloon by Komako Sakai. This one is really adorable & I am in love with the illustrations. A sweet little read that is perfect for bedtime.

Speaking of bedtime...We have still been lying down with Sadie to get her to bed each night. On Sunday Dylan suggested that we start the task of getting her to fall asleep on her own. He had to do it, cause I seem to drag my feet on stuff like this. Well, we did the routine. Bath, jammies, brush teeth, read a book, say a prayer & then I told her I was leaving her & she could do this on her own. She was reluctant at first. Whining that she was too scared. So we got her a teddy bear to hold & left her alone. She didn't get out of her bed once, but she did call out to Dylan & he went in & told her goodnight one more time. We heard her reading a book to her teddy & before we knew it she was asleep. It took about a half hour. We went in & took the book out of her hands & felt SO HAPPY that things had gone so smoothly.

Last night.....same routine. This time Sadie had no objections when it was time for me to leave the room & she fell asleep even faster. We've been pretty happy. Way to go us! And, way to go Sadie!


Heather said...

That is so huge!! Now you can reclaim your evenings. Cute books. Kade gets so attached to his by the time we need to return them. I love that.

ekreynolds said...

you know i'm all about my kids falling asleep on their own so good work. it makes things so much calmer at night to say "time for bed, and they go to bed". good job.

Amber said...

That is great! I need to start that with the boys. We still lay with them. That seems crazy I know. But I just tell my self that it will be faster if I do.

Chanel said...

WOOHOO!!! Its all about timing and knowing when they are ready huh? Its not worth it to force the issue when they're too little. This made me feel good cause Laurenis very insistant that I lay in her room with her until she falls asleep. I know she'll be ok to let me leave in time. Its amazing how much more you understand with your second child. Thganks first borns for showing us the ropes!

We got a book from the library called Baby Ducks Ugly Glasses and I thought it would be PERFECT for Sadie.

Dinosaurs stink is very cute!!!

Library DVDs rule!

Erin said...

Yeah, this next week, I'm going to be weaning Ana completely and then we'll have to try your techniques. I've never been very good about a bedtime routine - she just falls asleep nursing.

The Fellers said...

YES! that is awesome! I am so proud of Sadie, and you guys, way to go! I love children's books. One christmas before I was married, I told my parents I wanted childrens books and games for christmas,,,and that is what I got. I was so excited when I got pregnant, because I already had my collection started! They are so genius. Have you ever heard of Robert Munsch? Love him...and Brother Franson's book....unbrella...shon HAD to get it before grad so he could sign it!....so good, and such good illustrations!

Jenny + Mark = Love said...

My girls still love anything by Petra Mathers, especially "Lottie's new beach towel". The library is always a hit.

Ipuna said...

Routines are fantastic! Good job Sadie!

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...