Monday, April 21, 2008

Spirited

Raising Your Spirited Child came up as a recommendation on our Amazon page. Dylan alerted me to it & after just reading the whole title, a guide for parents whose child is more intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent and energetic, the book was immediately put on hold at the library. I started reading it this weekend & I'm only a few chapters in, but I can already tell that this book is going to change my life for the better.

I feel that this author actually does understand my child. My Sadie girl that was roaring from those very first days in the hospital. The one that has been labeled "busy" & "active" from early on. The one that takes literally forever to get dressed or get the the car. The one that quit napping early. The one that bounces & sings through her life. The one that is full of energy & creativity & imagination. The one that is so fun to be around, but sometimes just too intense.

From the little that I've read already, I am feeling so much better as a parent. I'm not feeling that my parenting style has failed her. To be honest I've felt quite often that I have created this personality in her. Not so. She was born this way. It's how she's wired. She feels things in a big way. It's not my fault & it's not her fault. And it's not a bad thing. It's just takes more energy & more patience to parent her.

With Sadie the good times are incredible. Just seriously the best. I look at her & think she is the most amazing creation in the world. Then in a split second it can change & I'm wondering how she can set me off & make me feel so crazy.


Claire is already showing signs of being a spirited one as well. Where Sadie seems to be more perceptive, Claire seems to be more persistent & sensitive. And Dylan & I have been feeling that we were little spirited ones for our parents as well. :)

Anyway, there are lots of you out there that I know struggle with the same sort of intensity with your children. I though this book could help you as well.

9 comments:

kirsten said...

good for you for trying to learn more about your kids. i'm always surprised that more parents don't do that...

Keri said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I wrote the title down & am hoping that my little library here has it!!

Jenna said...

that sounds like just the book we need right now. you've put into words how i feel so much better than i ever could. i've realized that in having a child who is so "spirited" (perfect word) so much lies in our reactions, and in our own perspectives. which is hard when you are not 100% or tired or busy or just done. can't wait to read the book. thanks for the recommendation. :)

The Hale Family said...

THank you so much! I am going to buy that book today! I need some help with Kennedy! I really appreciate your post!

alexandra said...

Thanks for talking about the book - a friend of mine found it helpful years ago. I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it today - I could use this book. We had a particularly rough weekend with little W. - so, so, so frustrating when you don't know what to do.
Hoping the book can help with our challenges too.
A.

the fellers said...

you are such a good mom! I just think your girls are so cute! good luck with everything!

ollie said...

ah... spirited children... I know about that all too well! I have two myself and that book really helped me out!!! don't put too much pressure on yourself, it's hard to keep up with an intense child!!! I know for our family, ADD parenting techniques have been great in reducing a lot of the stress of intense children. If you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them!!! My kids are little bit older than yours, so we've been there!

ashley said...

isn't it cool to see little personalities emerge? sometimes it scares me to death how we can make or break them. and i so know how those split second total personality changes go, it's crazy!

Erin L said...

You perfectly described Ana. I'll have to check that one out. Spirited ... thats a good word for her.

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...