Friday, August 08, 2008

My Love Story


The summer time always makes me think about first meeting Dylan & falling in love with him. We met in the summer of 1999, just one year after I graduated from high school. We owe it all to Ammon. He was home for the summer & called me up to get together. We decided we'd go see Star Wars Episode I. Got a call from him about a week later. He was going with a group (all guys) & invited me to come along. I picked up Ammon & we headed over to Bryan Todd's house. Bryan is Dylan's younger brother. I went to high school & had a few classes with him. We knock on the door & this guy swings the door open & says "Well Helllooooo!!!" In a really high pitched, crazy voice. It took me a minute because at first I thought it was Bryan. I then realized that this must be Bryan's brother. He was wearing a Hanson t-shirt. I was convinced that he was a nerd. At the movie we sat on opposite ends of our row of people. I remember him passing an empty box of red vines down to me. I wasn't sure what to think about him.

Dylan was in a band with Bryan & a few other people. I'd go watch them play & there was always a barbecue happening at the Todd house that summer. So we saw each other quite a bit. I was walking at the park w/ my mom one night & I told her that I couldn't date Dylan Todd because I'd probably marry him & my last name would be Todd & our babies would be really white.

It took us a few months to get together. We played video games & I punched his leg when he was beating me. At the Ben Folds Five concert he asked me what classes I was taking for the third time. After one of his band's shows in Patti's back yard, he asked me if I wanted to go to the Coca Cola Factory with them. I mentioned the Beverly drink they had there (tastes like bug spray). He was impressed that I knew of it. I couldn't go because I had other plans already. He worked up some excuse so that he could give me a ride home even though I got a ride there with somebody else. I thought he was sweet. I could tell he was interested in me. We continued like this for a while. I wanted him to ask me out. He didn't have a job & his car was a disaster. I went to visit my friend Zelilah in California. When I got home I called him up and asked him out. We went to dinner & a movie.

A few days later I lured him over to my house with cookies I made. He was supposed to meet the guys to play video games. I think he eventually left that night. I wanted him to kiss me, but he didn't. We made plans for him to come back & we'd watch a movie. The next night we watched Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. But halfway through he kissed me & it turned into a half hour make out session. We were never apart after that. We knew a month after dating that we wanted to get married.

The photo above is our engagement picture. We got married in 2000. I was 20 years old. He was 23. I often wonder about how I made such a big decision at such a young age. I had heard that "you just know", and it's so true. It's the best decision I've ever made. I often think back to the early days. Back before we had kids & all we had to worry about was us. Sometimes I wish we had those days back, but at the same time I think I like the "us" that we are now even more. We've been through a lot. We're solid.

If I could wish for anything in the world, I would wish that everybody could have someone to love them. I mean really, really love them.

17 comments:

Patti said...

Okay, first . . . I love this story.

Second, a concert in MY backyard? I have a vague recollection and Caity will have to clarify . . . a few years ago I found out there had been a concert in my backyard - it happened while I was in the hospital. Which would make sense because a LOT of ridiculous things happened at my house that week, also known as 'the week everyone could do what they wanted'.

I love this story. Thanks for sharing. You got a good one.

P.S. Really white babies are awesome.

Keri said...

This is sweet & makes me laugh. Your personality shines brightly in this story. You make me want to write my story!

Dylan said...

I'd just like to point out that I was wearing said Hanson t-shirt ironically. I promise. I have a notarized affidavit and everything.

Dylan said...

And Patti, we totally rocked your backyard. You should probably get to work on a shrine or something.

Janae said...

You've got a way with words! You and Dylan are a great couple.

Patti said...

He passed you an empty box of licorice . . .

Candace said...

Yes. He did. I should have known right then that he was goofy.

When we were first married & we'd go grocery shopping together, he'd pick up cantaloupes & hold them up to his chest. He'd also sing along to the store's music really, really loud. He succeeded in embarrassing me at first. Then I just started to ignore him & laugh at the other shoppers reactions.

Kara said...

Candace what a cute story! I love your wish in the end. I agree that everyone should be able to have someone to really love them. There's nothing like it!!!

ashley said...

so cute! i am laughing so hard at the excuses you gave your mom for not marrying him, so funny!

Amber said...

Cute story! I remember that story when you went to Dylan's house and he answered the door all crazy. That Dylan is crazy! :)

Cherine said...

I am laughing so hard because I remember going to the Movies with BT and the gang and Dylan when he first got home from the mish and we saw..hmmm let me think....Water Boy and the tattoo on some dudes butt part Dylan laughed louder then anyone in the ENTIRE movie theatre. I was like...."who is this kid". But seriously good catch (go ahead Dylan pat yourself on the back). Love the story!

Erin L said...

cute story. I love hearing "how we met" stories.

chanel said...

awww, this is PRECIOUS! Dylan answering the door- I can totally picture it. He's so funny that way. The Hanson shirt is classic too.
Now the make out session, thats news...hmmmm
Im so glad you guys fell in love and got married so we could become best friends and you could inspire me EVERYDAY since I have known you. Dylan's a dang lucky guy. You guys are a match made in Heaven!!

wrightfamily said...

How sweet. I love to think about our "falling in love" story because it makes me fall deeper in love everytime! We also watched a movie like that once.... I can barely even remember what movie it was!

miss chris said...

thank you so much for sharing! what a sweet sweet story.

Being loved like that is pretty darned wonderful, too. :)

Brooke said...

Thanks Candace.... love you guys.

Melissa Everett said...

ohh.. that was so sweet! I love that Dylan loves you! and I love that your word for the 2 of you is "solid"!! Love that!

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...