Thursday, September 04, 2008

Sewing Related Questions

Michelle asked, Where and how did you learn to sew?

I got my sewing machine as a Christmas gift from my in-laws in 2001 & I've taught myself everything I know. When I first set up my machine it took me about an hour to figure out how to wind the bobbin & thread the machine. Seriously! I can't even remember the first thing I tried to sew. Notice I said "tried". There were a lot of projects started & never finished in the beginning because they weren't turning out how I wanted them too & I'd give up, or I'd get to a certain point & be too afraid to continue on. I made baby blankets for my nephews when they were born & I made some curtains for our bedroom. One hung a little lower than the other. Ha ha!

Where do you get all your crafting ideas from?

I spend a lot of time looking around at what other crafters are doing. I follow a lot of crafting blogs & I absolutely love flickr. You can check out my favorite groups here. I never try to exactly copy what somebody else has done, but I think all that looking sometimes triggers new ideas for me.

Inspiration a lot of times comes from outside influences as well. I took a lot from this Target holiday bag for my doily mobile. :)

Alexandra asked, Which sewing books are your favourites and why?

Bend the Rules Sewing by Amy Karol: This book has a lot of really cool projects, but she also shares a lot of helpful information for sewing as well & explains it in such a wonderful way. As if you were sitting on the couch with a friend & they were telling you why it's important to change your sewing machine needle out after every couple projects.

Simple Sewing by Lotta Jansdotter
: I just love Lotta. She is so stylish. Her projects are very modern & cool. I love seeing modern & cool handmade items. It makes me feel like what I'm doing is not so "homey" but can also be hip & cool.

Sock & Glove by Miyako Kanamori: This book is adorable. I still haven't made anything out of it, but I am planning to make some of these cutie cute softies for the girls this Christmas. Beautifully photographed & simply laid out. It's a neat book.

misspotts asked, I have a sewing machine brand new and in the box I just don't know how to use it or set it up. Can u tell me how to get started. Like what should I purchase to start sewing. I love the grocery bag holder and short aprons u make. Are those easy and can u point me towards the directions?

I would suggest starting with small projects that you can finish quickly. For me, there is nothing like the satisfaction & the feeling of accomplishment that comes from finishing a project. It doesn't even matter how small it is. Read through your owner's manual. You really just have to go at it! If you are able to take classes at a local fabric store I would suggest doing that as well. Just stick with it & keep trying. You will feel more confident in no time. I honestly still feel like I am a beginner at sewing. There is so much more I still need to learn. Just this week I learned to do a quilt binding. I've been scared to try & you know wasn't hard at all!!

The short apron pattern is from the Bend the Rules Sewing book & the grocery bag tutorial can be found here.

Grace asked, Is there another kind of craft you would like to learn in the future (pottery, weaving, painting...etc)?

I would love to be able to knit. I have tried a few times, but haven't done it consistently enough to get a real feel for it.

Do you still scrapbook?

No. I don't scrapbook anymore. I really jumped into sewing & blogging & haven't felt the urge to want to scrapbook in a long time.

How do you find time to be crafty? I think it's awesome how so many moms are out there helping earn income through sewing and crafting. Y'all are an inspiration!

I do most of my sewing at night once my girls have gone to bed. I do work a little during the day as well, but it's usually just 10 minutes here & there. During the day I pull fabrics together, cut & iron. I usually don't get my sewing machine out until the girls are asleep. It's too hard to focus on them & they usually want to climb all over me while I'm at the machine.


Michele said...

Thanks for the sewing book recommendations! I really loved Bend the Rules Sewing...I'm going to check at our local library for the other titles. I had watched the Martha episode with the Sock & Glove author on it...I cannot wait to see what all it has inside.

Stacy said...

You should make a list of your favorite books on I would certainly be interested in updates to your sewing inspiration list.

Jessica said...

oh my! i dont want to freak you out with all my comments and hope you arent freaked out by me... we are so much alike though, it kills me. when i was reading this post, i kept saying, " me too" " me too" in my head. i love amy karols book, i just learned to do a binding (it scared me at first too), i have had an erge to learn how to knit recently, i have no desire to scrapbook anymore, (i think i am so in lve with sewing), and i do the same thing.. cutting and ironing when my kids are awake and sewing when they sleep.
anyway, i hope i dont freak you out by commenting on your blog! i love it, i think because i can really relate.

LeAnne said...

Love all your sewing info! I agree on many of your book choices. Another great one is Last-Minute Patchwork Gifts by Joelle Holverson.

I too think it is great you sell your creations to help earn extra money. You are inspiring me to get a little shop going.


Grace =) said...

I love Bend the Rules Sewing and Simple Sewing too. I also love Last Minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts. That is an awesome book. Have you looked into Amy Butler's In Stitches book? Some of her stuff is really good too, but while I like that book I think I like Lotta's style just a little bit more. She has a little more earthy feel to some of her projects and I like that a lot.

Thanks for answering my questions!

Michelle said...

I'm glad you aswered my questions. I seriously thought you have been sewing since you were little! I think you're a natural. That makes me feel better that it's really never too late to learn something new.

Dionne said...

Wow! Finally, I've found somebody just like me! I make stuff and I cook stuff, and I'm always looking at stuff and thinking "how can I use that another way.....?" and I thought I was alone. :-) Dionne in Berkshire, England. x x x

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...