Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cutting Fabric, A Few Tips


A reader recently e-mailed me asking about how I cut fabric. When you first start sewing it sometimes seems difficult to get a nice polished look to your projects & most of them end up looking a bit wonky. This will go away the more that you practice, but here are a few tips that will help in achieving a great end product. Because you don't want to spend all that time working on something just to be disappointed in the end, right?

* Cutting - Invest in a great pair of scissors. I am in love with my Gingher dressmaker's shears (photo above). My mother-in-law gave these to me as a birthday gift when I was new to sewing. They are amazing. Nice & heavy & sharp. They're "like buttah". They are pretty expensive, but go on sale quite often at Joann's & there's always those 50% off coupons. I also like to use my rotary cutter when I'm cutting lots of straight lines, like quilt squares. Be as precise as you can. It will make a difference in the end.

* Ironing - Be sure to run an iron over your fabric before you get started on a project & keep a hot iron nearby while working. Do take the time to iron as you go. Again, makes a big difference in the end.


* Pinning - I know sometimes it seems that you don't need to pin your fabrics, but do it. Pins hold the fabric in place & keep it from shifting when you run it through the machine. This is a major step that will help your projects look great.

(My pin cushion was crocheted by my grandma a few years back. Cute, huh?)

I hope this helps a little. You may be a wild, creative type that wants to speed through your project, but slow down, do these steps & I promise your work will look better in the end.

4 comments:

the fellers said...

thanks for all these little hints, they will really help me, I know. I do the cutting and pinning, but I am not so good at the ironing part, I will try harder...and i LOVE your pin cushion...isnt it the best thing to get from a Grandma? I got mine from my Grandma and it looks like a tomato made of different pieces of scrap material, totally funky, and I LOVE it...I think I may have cried when she gave it to me for Christmas one year....cause it is just like hers, and she is the one who taught me how to sew!

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note...I got some Gingher pinking shears on Ebay recently and found a pair of dressmaker shears for a friend there also. Very affordable...cheaper than I have found them elsewhere (we don't have Joann's.)

Ruthanna

Sara said...

You are completely right. I need this reminder because I get lazy and then frustration ensues. I have the same scissors and adore them.

Amy said...

Thanks - I am actually going to attempt to teach myself to sew this weekend - so I will add good scissors to my shopping list! BTW - I blogged about your work the other day - love the new 8x10's!!!
www.brokenbutgood.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...