Thursday, February 26, 2009

Light Turkey Meatballs


3 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
1/4 cup whole milk
1-1/2 lbs. ground turkey (93% lean, dark meat)
3 scallions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 large egg
salt & pepper

Place bread in a food processor; pulse until fine crumbs form. In a small bowl, mix breadcrumbs with milk; set aside at least 5 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine turkey, scallions, garlic, parsley, egg, 1-1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, and breadcrumb mixture. Mix gently with a fork.

I use a cookie scoop to form meatballs & then place on a parchment lined baking sheet. To freeze, place baking sheet with meatballs in the freezer & freeze for 1 hour to set their shape. Transfer meatballs to an air tight container or a ziploc bag & store in freezer for up to 3 months.


I doubled this recipe & it made enough for 4 meals of spaghetti & meatballs. Now I have a big batch of meatballs in the freezer just ready to be pulled out for an easy, quick dinner later.

To cook, heat meatballs in a skillet until browned, 5-7 minutes. Add a jar of spaghetti sauce & cook until heated through, 5 minutes. Serve over cooked spaghetti noodles.

4 comments:

juanitatortilla said...

Oh wow, you know what, you couldn't have posted this at a better time! My husband has been bugging me for meatballs -- "I want meatballs for dinner"... "When can I have meatballs?"... *LOL*.

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, and it sounds easy too!

P.S. I came here by way of Creature Comforts. Your print of 'Everything is going to be alright' made me smile (honest!).
Just so you know, I'm going to follow your blog!

-Juanita

andrea said...

I love this idea, I am going to have to try it when we get in a house. I love being able to just do a quick meal that is still home made. Miss you!!!

amanda said...

that is a great idea

The Fritz Family Blog said...

Just found your blog from creature comforts. Super cute and I love your work! WOW! So inspiring!

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...