Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Longing For Warmer Days

February is here & I am itching for spring to come. Something inside me has changed I've decided that I can't take winter any longer. It's not fun anymore. Yet we still have a long time before it warms up & we can spend more time outside in the sunshine. It probably doesn't help that both my girls have been sick.

I'm trying to fight off these February blues though. I started by pulling out some strawberry freezer jam that I made over the summer with those berries we picked ourselves. That was definitely a good pick me up. And I found myself smiling today as I stood in the kitchen making potato soup for the little sick people around me. I love the steamed up windows in the kitchen during the winter. They make me feel like a good momma. Cooking for my family always makes me feel like a good momma.

You must try this potato soup recipe that I got from Andrea. It's really, really good & it's what caused the steamy kitchen windows tonight. A few notes on this recipe: I don't think it really makes 6 servings. Our small family never has leftovers, so if you have a larger family I would for sure double this. Also, I use half the cheese & most of the time I leave out the bacon & croutons & it's still delicious.

Vermont Potato Soup

1 cup onions, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
3 T butter
4 cups chicken broth
4 lg potatoes, cubed
2 T fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups Cheddar cheese, grated
Garnish: 4 bacon slices, crisply cooked and
crumbled and 3/4 cups croutons, crushed

Combine onions, garlic and butter in a Dutch oven and cook for 5 minutes. Blend in chicken broth, potatoes, parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer, covered for 20 minutes then remove from heat. Spoon mixture in a food processor (or blender) and puree small amounts at a time. Place soup back in Dutch oven and stir in cheddar cheese; heat through. Combine bacon and croutons; sprinkle over soup before serving. Makes 6 servings.


Reece's said...

Oh my gosh Candace! I have been scouring every single cook book and cooking mag I have all day long looking for a good tater soup recipe! You have just made my evening! I am making this first thing in the a.m.! Hang in there with the cold weather, when kids are sick you catch cabin fever fast!!!!

3 'lil Lemons said...

I'm feeling exactly the same way about winter! Last Sunday when it was sunny outside I was so excited, Barak had to remind me that it didn't mean it was spring yet. I hope your family gets feeling better, and that soup looks wonderful!

Cherine said...

Thanks for the recipe. We warmed up in the 50's today but I know it is just a teaser. So keep these warm yummy recipes a comin'!

Amber said...

Thanks for the recipe. Sounds yummy!

misschris said...

So glad you still have the jam to snack on. This year I have to make some for sure, because nothing tastes even close that good.

Yummy recipe. :)

gina said...

can't wait to try your recipe...it doesn't have milk, and it's hard to find potato soup recipes without any milk!

Jen Rose said...

Sorry for those Feb blues! Thanks for the soup recipe. I just love reading your blog! You are so talented, creative, adorable and the list goes on and on.

Lori said...

I saw your prints at redvelvetart.com! COOL!

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...