Monday, April 20, 2009

Vintage Pillowcase Skirt

I had a busy weekend. One where I felt like I was doing a lot of work, but getting nothing done. Come Sunday night I wanted to sew really bad. I have a lot of things on my "to make" list that I really want to get to, like, right now. The dishes are piled up by the sink & need to be washed. We are out of sippy cups & small spoons. I made the decision last night to leave them there & sew something with this pretty embroidered vintage pillowcase that I found on my last trip to the thrift store.


So a skirt it became for little Miss Sadie. The pillowcase fabric is pretty thin, so I put a layer of aqua blue striped seersucker underneath. It's pretty & sweet & girly & I love it.


Sometimes, when I am feeling overwhelmed, putting it all aside & allowing for some making time is all I need. Sure my chores are all still there, but I've accomplished something. I've made something tangible & often times something very useful. I can go to bed feeling proud of myself & it's just the boost I need so that I can get up in the morning & actually feel like doing all those household chores.


Now if you'll excuse me, I have a mountain of dishes to wash. :)

17 comments:

Lori said...

omg!! this is fantastic! u know candace i really want to sew I got the machine out i learned how to thread it and it never seems to work right. it gets snagged. its to tight or it will do a stitch them mess up. its annoying. i think i just need to get it out and rethread it and straight stitch as many times as it takes.

Candace said...

Lori, rethreading the machine is a good idea. that works for me sometimes. But it's probably your tension. Check your manual to see what tension it should be set at for what type of fabric you are using. When I first got my machine, it took me a bit to figure out the tension & i was having the same problems you're describing. good luck!

Sara said...

Oh, that is just adorable. And I completely agree that sewing is the best medicine when you feel like you just can't do one more chore!

misschris said...

This is adorable. I'm the same way about the sewing. Even if I can get some cutting and piecing done, it feels like progress. The dishes will always be there!! xoxo

Keri said...

I love it! So cute!!

Kindred Crafters said...

Canadace, this is just at the right time, when I sit here after a morning spent working on some bibs when really, there were many many household things to do . . laundry to be folded, dishes to be unloaded, toys to be picked up, but I decided to do nothing of the kind and to take Maude's nap and use it to sew.
Lovely skirt. Now if I could get busy on the pile of pillowcases in my sewing room!

- Donna

storycatcher said...

I just found your blog, and I LOVE this skirt you made. So perfect! I've been making dresses and skirts out of old sheets and cloth napkins, but I haven't used pillowcases yet. I'll be keeping my eye out for these now!

jessi said...

This is fabulous...I've got the pillowcases...now if I only had a girl!

alexandra said...

so sweet!

andrea said...

That turned out so cute! I still have that cute pink pillowcase you gave me to make one of these! I'll have to do it once our stuff gets here.....I've been saying that a lot these days :)

I was thinking of you today, I did a last minute party for Cam's birthday and thought of last years combined party! I missed you! Happy Birthday to Claire in a couple days!

Ariana said...

Ok, that is the cutest thing ever! I've seen pillow case dresses, but this is so much cuter!

Danielle said...

Thats fantastic and it looks so easy to do.

3 'lil Lemons said...

That is so cute! I always loved embroidered pillowcases. Such a great idea. I bet Sadie loves it too.

alwaysadorable said...

This is so darling I can barely contain myself! I think I just added some pillow case hunting to our to-do list today!

the fellers said...

wow, that is SO cute, you are so good at stuff like that!

Leslie said...

adorable. i have a few vintage pillowcases, too. never would have thought to put an underskirt, i love it!

chanel said...

you're so lucky sewing is natural to you and a way to relax, i get frustrated and am so impatient! holy heck that is the CUTEST skirt!!!! NICE JOB!!!

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...