Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Yo Momma! Interviewing Creative Work At Home Moms

I'm excited to bring you a new feature here on the Sparkle Power blog. It's called Yo Momma! We have Dylan to thank for that wonderful title. :) Anyway, I plan to do regular interviews with other creative work at home moms out there. I'm excited to learn how other women are successfully balancing caring for their children & running their own creative businesses. I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know if there are any questions you'd like asked in these interviews or if there are any wonderfully inspiring creative women that you think I should interview. Do share!

Katherine introduced herself to me a few weeks ago in an e-mail. I was immediately drawn to her style. How could I not like a girl that seems to have the same crazy love for doilies that I do? Katherine blogs over at Making Chicken Salad. It was super fun to interview her & I thank her so much for being willing to go first. Here she is...

Tell me a little bit about yourself. Where you live, how many kids & pets you have? What your business is & what you are making?

**I live in Napa, California with my son, Henry; my boyfriend, Josh; our pug, Pokie; our kitty, Lucy; and three chickens, Miss Chick, Chickie, and Mr. Rooster. I have two shops on At Home With Henry carries vintage items; and my new shop, Katherine Handmade, carries handmade items of all sorts. I wanted a place to be able to sell whatever I felt like making that week, whether it was tote bags, gocco prints, lace bowls, or WHATEVER. I have some crazy ideas sometimes, and it has been really fun to have an outlet for them. I have also had a lot of fun documenting everything on my blog and am planning to offer some craft classes in the very near future.

Moms are super busy. When & how do you find time to create?

**It is tough! The hardest part of being a mom for me is feeling like I am never able to complete a thought (or a sleep cycle!) without being interrupted. It is really hard to concentrate when I am always thinking about what Henry is doing. He is a very creative, resourceful little boy, and sometimes his projects are pretty ambitious (and MESSY)! I am not good at night, so right now I try to get as much done while he is at preschool. I am gearing up to participate in my very first Poppytalk Handmade Market, so have been trying to work as much as I can. Henry will start kindergarten in the fall and his school day will almost double. I plan to use the extra time to really focus on pushing my business to a new level.

Do you feel that your creative nature comes at all from the example of your own mother?

**Sure! My mom was always painting, drawing, & sewing and my sister and I had access to good art supplies growing up. She didn't limit our creativity because she was afraid of us making messes (I am STILL making messes with projects) and it is something that I do for Henry now, too. My mom is also a very "made from scratch" person, and so am I. The general attitude around here when it comes to cooking, baking, projects, etc. is "If someone else can do it, so can I!"

How does your boyfriend support or help you with your creative ventures?

**Josh is very supportive of my creative ventures. In fact, he reads every comment left on my blog and really likes to see what people have to say. I think he knows that I am not a person who could be chained to a cubicle all day, and that it is very important for me to be able to be home with Henry. Josh is super creative, as well, and understands what it is like to have an idea/vision in mind and see it come to life.

What is your favorite album right now, or what are you listening to while you work?

**Yikes--I'm kind of out of the loop when it comes to current music. I have been listening to some of the same albums for ten years or more! On current rotation in my work room is The Supersuckers, Ben Harper, Stevie Wonder, K.T. Tunstall, The Cult, and The Clash. How is that for a mix?!?!

Where online do you look for inspiration?

**OH, boy. There are so many places to find inspiration and it can be creative overload sometimes! The very first blogs I found were sfgirlbybay and design*sponge, and I still read them daily. Sometimes I realize that I have spent so much time online looking at beautiful things that I have not made anything myself. That's when I need a kick in the pants to be productive and I go to Elsie Flannigan's A Beautiful Mess--that girl is a creative machine! I also really like to see how other moms do it. I love Bling on My Sewing Machine!; An Inspired Mess; Hey, Jen Renee!; and Cakies.

What is your favorite household chore?

**Making dinner

You least favorite household chore?

**Scrubbing the floor and the baseboards

How do you take time for yourself? Do you buy yourself a special treat or go to the gym?

**At this point I really consider all of the crafting and making I do a special treat and I love to go to thrift stores to find new supplies. I also love to have coffee or go to the farmer's market with my sister. We live in the same town, but she works a LOT and we don't have the chance to see each other very often!

Thanks Katherine! Isn't she adorable?


Jamie said...

What a great idea to feature Creative Work at Home Moms!!! I love Katherine! She's so great and her work is fabulous! I have a bag she made and love it!!! She's a genuine sweet person too!!! Love your blog!

luvinthemommyhood said...

Great series!

ashley said...

what a great idea candace! i can't wait to read more of these!

also, i am giving you a little shout out on

knack said...

I just recently found Katherine and her her and I loved this interview and learning more about her! :)


Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...