Wednesday, August 26, 2009

First Day


She picked out what she was going to wear & she was all smiles & excited as can be until we got into the classroom. There was quite a bit of commotion with parents everywhere & everybody trying to figure out what was going on. I think it was all a bit overwhelming for Sadie. When I gave her a hug goodbye, she held on for a looooong time. I don't think that my teary eyes were helping the situation at all. I could see in her face that she was not comfortable. Her lips were straight & tight like they were pulling down into a frown but she was trying to force them back up into a smile & they just met half way. Her eyes were open wide & she kept nodding her head but not saying a word when I'd ask if she was okay.


I took Claire down to the school basement where the PTA had donuts for the parents. I told Sadie that I'd come back up & check on her before we left. When we peeked back into her classroom & she made eye contact with me, I gave her a thumbs up & a wave goodbye. But she did not give me a thumbs up back. She started pouting & hid her face in her arms on her desk. Ooh, that did not feel good. But I think my hanging around was making it all worse, so Claire & I just took off.


When I put Claire back in the stroller to head home she asked, "Where's Sadie?" I wanted to just bawl my eyes out on the way home. Sadie is usually so independent & that helps me to get through these things. I wasn't prepared for her to be a little hesitant.


The day actually flew by & when we picked her up she was happy. She said her favorite part was recess. I guess this school thing may work out after all. :)

19 comments:

Ariane said...

I admit I got a little teary reading that. Clayton starts next week and I'm counting on him to be the strong one too. If he acts hesitant I don't think I'll handle it too well! Good for her for liking it by the end of the day though!

Holly C. said...

Oh-she looks so cute!

Blink and she will be a senior! I know from experience-my daughter's a senior this year and kindergarten seems like just yesterday. Oh heavens! Time goes to fast.

Me? A Mom? said...

oh man. I cried reading that. My oldest is only 2.5 and I know I'll be a total wreck when I have to take her to school. When I tried to put her in daycare at 4 months old, I only lasted a week and a half and pulled her out. LOL

I think these things are harder on us than on them.

Robin said...

The first day of kindergarten with the oldest child (and the second oldest, and the third oldest . . . ) is always hard! I'm so glad she enjoyed the day. Darn, they grow up so fast.

Lori said...

we had our first day at pre-k on Monday. I was so upset cause it was a big commotion. How can kids feel secure when everything is crazy like that. Our school got everyone in the cafeteria and made them wait till 8:05 which is when class starts there. When I got home I cried becuase I realized it was not perfect but thats what the world is and I cant always provide the ideal scenario and u know at some point I gotta let go a bit. I know it will get better.

I am happy Sadie faired well by the end of the day. I bet that napmat helped a ton.

Monica said...

She looks so adorable! I'm glad she liked something about her day, even if it was recess!

RachelDenbow said...

Oh, I can imagine today was an emotionally charged day all around! Cheers to Sadie making it through and enjoying recess! Here's to a wonderful rest of the week.


We're told Ruby is due Nov. 4th so about 10 weeks left. Thanks for asking!

chanel said...

what a cutie pie! that walk home on the first day-ALONE- is the saddest moment ever! you know it is ok, but you just want time to stop and you want your baby back! ugh. glad it worked out though, each day gets easier as you see her more and more in love with school. GOOD JOB mom. little clair is so precious too.
looks like there are a lot of kids in her class! and hello- doughnuts!!!! NICE school.

Kerry said...

I'm gonna cry. I'll be doing this for the third time this year, I don't think it gets any easier.

Anna said...

Sadie really is a cutie. She's grown so much since the first day of preschool last year!

Melissa Everett said...

she looks super cute! and i teared up a little reading that!!

amanda said...

man time flies she looks so cute on her first day.

alexandra said...

such a sweet post - loved your words and the photos.
H&W are starting a full day in September so I can relate to what you're going through - goodness knows I'll be teary and hesitant and have all those protective Mommy feelings. thanks for sharing your experience with us :)

Pink & Green Mama said...

Happy first day of Kindergarten!! When Emma got on the bus last year, Claire burst into tears because she couldn't go too. I have a photo of her bawling at the bus stop while her big sister's Kindergarten bus is pulling away. What you don't see is me crying behind the camera, then jumping in my car and following the bus to school so I could get one more photo of her getting off the bus at school! : )

Brooke said...

Are you kidding me!She is soooo adorable!! I love her glasses and hair barrett and converse. What a cutie pie!

julie green said...

Oh my god, Candace, she's adorable. That last picture is too TOO much.

Jules from Ohio said...

Candace, are you old enough to remember Mary Tyler Moore?

It looks like Sadie's gonna make it after all...and then some. Who wouldn't, with those cool shoes, kickin' outfits and enviably sassy glasses? And the support of her loving Mama. I think the last photo clinched it. Looks like this little pookie is going to be just fine.

Thank you for sharing such a tender snap of life.

Katherine said...

the first day of school was rough for me, too! to be honest, it caught me off guard a bit--i had no idea how tough it would be. we are going into our second full week and although i still don't love it, a lot of the "i feel like i was just hit by a truck" feeling is gone.

hang in there!

hugs.

Jennifer Aniston said...

She is really a cutie. :)

Jennifer Aniston

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...