Friday, January 08, 2010

Going Meatless - Couscous Tacos

I had a really lovely photo to go along with this post, but our computer died & i am unable to access that photo as well as some others. It's also posing a bit of a problem with our etsy shop & printing posters & such. I'm borrowing my mom's laptop for the time being, but posts may be few for a bit while we try to work though this problem. Until then here's the recipe for some tacos we had last week.

Couscous Tacos

1 14.5 oz. can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes

1 cup water

1/4 cup chopped onion

1 envelope taco seasoning mix

2/3 cup couscous

8 oz. firm or extra-firm tofu, drained & finely chopped

10 taco shells, warmed


shredded lettuce

shredded cheddar cheese


sour cream

In a medium saucepan combine undrained stewed tomatoes, water, onion, and taco seasoning mix. Bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and tofu. Cover; remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Spoon couscous mixture into taco shells. Add toppings. Serve.

Dylan's rating: 8

My rating: 7

Dylan really enjoyed these with green taco sauce. I thought that the filling was really soft & for some reason that bothered me. They tasted really good though. Another variation could be to use pinto beans instead of the tofu. I also thought that a corn salsa would be delicious on this & would add a bit of crunch.


Jenna said...

i used to a vegetarian and used to make tofu tacos all the time. but i would freeze the extra firm tofu and then thaw it out and it changes the texture. then you crumble it up into little pieces and season it with taco seasoning on the stove and it looks like beef. i even fooled my husband and he never knew it was tofu. well if he did, he never said it. i should make those tonight. hmmmm. fool the kids?

ollie said...

Growing up my mom always made a simple pinto bean soup. The next day we always had pinto bean tacos. She would just drain off (but not rinse) the liquid from the beans and use that as the "meat". No seasoning required. It was and still is my favorite way to eat tacos. Also, have you tried Seitan? It's made from wheat and the texture is much more like meat. There are a lot of vegetarians/vegans in my family and they won't touch tofu any more after trying this stuff. They say that not all brands are the same, so to try different kinds. Their current favorite is from Chinese/Japanese stores and you can find it in the refrigerated and frozen section.

goosemonkey said...

So my burning question your girls eat this stuff? I feel extremely limited as to what I make because my kids are such picky eaters. Do they eat what you eat or do you make a different meal for them? Just curious...

Good for you on cutting out the meat though. You're a stronger woman than I!

Morrise Family said...

I use lentils as a ground beef substitute all the time, inspired by this recipe I found for lentil tacos:

We like these more than beef or chicken tacos.

Candace said...


my kids are always served whatever we're eating. i rarely make them something different that's more kid friendly. righ now my 2 year old doesn't seem to eat anything for dnner no matter what i serve her. i've stopped being concerned about it & just brush it off as a phase she's going through. my 5 year old is better. we're used to trying new recipes regularly around here & the kids know that they must takes a bite before they can complain that they don't like. in general they do really well, but if they don't eat, that's too bad for them. i'm not passing out bowls of cereal before bed time.

Morrise Family,

thanks for the lentil taco recipie. sounds good! :)

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...