Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Going Meatless - Hamburgers & Hot Dogs


We tried Smart Dogs this week. We were drawn to these because they are only 45 calories per dog & 0 grams of fat! We were super excited to hopefully find a healthy replacement for our favorite Hebrew National hot dogs, which are 140 calories & 14 grams of fat per dog.

Unfortunately we weren't thrilled with these. They were super soft, so there was no bite to them. We boiled them as suggested on the package. Perhaps a different cooking method would have helped? Are there any other really good vegetarian hot dogs out there that we should know about?

Either way, we didn't have to take a handful of tums after eating them & that continues to be one of my favorite things about the vegetarian diet. No indigestion!

We were not prepared for dinner one night & Dylan was craving a burger. We heard that Fatburger has veggieburgers on their menu. When we got there we found out that they were just boca burgers. But they were delicious & at only 70 calories & 0 grams of fat per burger, there's no reason to feel guilty about eating them! We're having them again tomorrow night. This time at home. We find the trick to a yummy, yummy boca burger is to load up the toppings.

12 comments:

chanel said...

mmmmm.....hot dogs.....pretty much the reason we're having a party for baylor, so i can justify eating hotdogs!
so are you loosing weight?? you mention the calories and fat, so Im guessing this is having an impact???

Shari said...

I eat these hotdogs all the time. Basically there isn't a single good meatless dog out there. To make them palatable I actually cut mine into chunks (You can leave whole) and pan fry with a bit of butter. You can also fry onions in the pan at the same time, and toss in a dash of worsterchire sauce. I then take the chunks and toss them with whatever veggies I am eating and voila...protein :)

Anna said...

My parents like to bake Smart Dogs in the oven until they're browned (or, if you like your hot dogs the way my mom does, burnt!).

amanda said...

that is gr8. glad your finding meatless stuff.

Candace said...

Chanel,

no weight loss. what is up w/ that?!?!? i feel less puffy though. i feel like i look better but the scale isn't changing. hopefully next month. that's when the exerising starts. :)

andrea said...

Seriously Candace...you have to try the garden-burgers at Red Robin! I got the Santa Fe with a garden-burger patty the other night and it was amazing! I don't even want hamburger any more with that as an option! I have never liked smart dogs either, they are a really weird texture. I wish we still lived close....it would be fun to cook this stuff together. We don't eat meat much, but last week I did a detox and completely cut it out along with soda and sugar. Meat was the easiest for me! I don't miss it! Theres a really good cold grain salad recipe I'll post on my blog that I think you'd really like. :)

Ali said...

Not sure about normal hot dogs but MorningStar Farms corn dogs are delightful. The Trader Joes variety isn't bad either. Not quite Hot Dog on a Stick but very yummy.

CraftLadyof Steel said...

the veggie corn-dogs are awesome. i make them on a cookie sheet in the oven, the microwave makes them too rubbery.

Skye said...

I agree with Ali- Morning Star corn dogs are amazing! They taste like the real thing but without the real gross factor. But I can never find them anymore...bummer.

christina said...

Hi there: Found your blog through another fun crafty blog.
While I'm not crazy about the Smart Dogs on their own, I just love chopped Smart Dogs stir-fried with saur kraut. I know that probably sounds disgusting but it's always a hit at my house.
Mmmmm. Now I'm starving.

PinkPug,INK. said...

I agree with Ali & Skye- MorningStar hot dogs are great! & their burger patties are even better! I've been eating these for years! & I also second the fact that the corn dogs are amazing. :)

Stephanie said...

I went meatless about 9 years ago and I was not a fan of the fake "meat" products prior to that - I had a lot of friends that were vegetarian and would try to feed me different things. BUT I finally discovered things I liked - morningstar farms has hot dogs that I love. They are sold frozen and they are the closest thing texture wise to a "real" hot dog. Put some cheese and mustard on it or a little onion and relish on a potato roll and it is delish!!

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...