Monday, January 18, 2010

Going Meatless - Shepherd's Pie


Shepherd's Pie


4 large or 6 medium potatoes

1 Tbsp. butter

1/2 cup low fat milk

1 Tbsp. olive oil

1 medium onion, finely chopped

2 medium carrots, peeled & sliced

1/2 medium head cauliflower, finely chopped

1 cup frozen peas

1 cup frozen corn kernels

2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley

1 Tbsp. minced fresh dill

Seasoned salt & fresh ground pepper


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil a shallow, round 2 quart casserole or 9 x 13 baking pan.


Place the potatoes in a saucepan w/ enough water to cover. Bring to a simmer, then cover & simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain & transfer to a small mixing bowl.


Stir the butter into the potatoes until melted, then add the milk & mash until fluffy.


While the potatoes are cooking, heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onion & carrots & saute over medium heat until the onion is golden. Add the cauliflower & 1/4 cup water. Cover & cook until the cauliflower is just about tender, about 5 minutes.


Add the peas, corn, parsley & dill. Cook until the mixture is well heated through, then stir in 1/2 cup of the mashed potatoes. Season with seasoned salt & pepper.


Pour the vegetable mixture into the prepared pan & pat in evenly. Spread the mashed potatoes over the top & pat down lightly.


Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the potatoes begin to turn golden and slightly crusty. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.



Dylan's rating: 10

My rating: 8


Dylan loved this, but I knew he would. He loves potatoes. I like this too. It's a real comfort food. I just felt that it was lacking some exciting flavor.


I have to admit that when I put the vegetables in the baking dish, I was worried about all the cauliflower & how my family would react to it. I got all worried that the dish would be nasty & would go to waste, so I whipped up a white sauce & mixed it in w/ the vegetables. Then I felt guilty for adding some fattiness to the dish. It did make the casserole bubble over a little & because I didn't want a mess in the oven, I pulled it out before it got nice & golden on top. The cauliflower became completely soft & you'd never even know it was in there. It was good.


I've never made a Shepherd's pie w/ meat. I just thought my family would like it. Anybody out there have a really good Shepherd's pie recipe that you can share with me?

3 comments:

Amber Liddle said...

I don't have a shepard's pie recipe, although that one looks like it would be great all golden, with a side of biscuits! Mmm.

I was going to link you to this post I have about lentil chili. It's super yum and no meat!
http://ingridliddle.blogspot.com/2009/12/high-heels-and-lentil-chili.html

Reece's said...

Here is a good recipe for shepards pie, although you will have to omit the beef for something else...maybe mushrooms or asparagus? Dont know there! Good luck!
http://stephandteeshcook.blogspot.com/2009/03/shepherds-pie-right-way.html

Honey said...

I've been vegetarian for 13 years now, and my all-time favourite cookbook is How It All Vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer. It has lots of ingredients that I already have in my pantry, and I trust that cookbook to always produce tasty meals. My favourite is the shepherd's pie recipe, which most people think has meat in it. I won't reprint it here for copyright reasons, but the cookbook is worth the investment if you want some recipe inspiration. Also try visiting Heidi Swanson's blog, www.101cookbooks.com. She wrote my second-most-used cookbook, I think it's called Cook 1.0. She's got a good archive on her blog and the recipes there are free! She likes to use a lot of dairy, though, so not sure how low-cal her recipes would be.

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...