Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Going Meatless...Again

This time for real!

I've decided to make monthly goals for 2010 instead of yearly resolutions that get forgotten about halfway through the year. We'll see how this goes.

For the month of January I have decided to go meatless. I will not purchase or prepare any meat for my family for the entire month. I feel like there is so much about vegetarianism that has made a lot of sense to me for a long time & this experiment will be good for myself & my family & help me figure some things out.

I have so many reasons for doing it. It began a few weeks ago when in the temple. I felt so impressed that that God is not happy with the meat industry & by purchasing meat I was supporting these actions that I cannot find any reason why God would be in favor of. Just as God wants us to have joy & he wants animals to as well.

And, just as strongly as I felt that things in the world of the meat industry didn't feel right to me, I also felt very strongly that eating meat sparingly would be very, very beneficial to the health of my family & that the Lord wanted us to make a change in our eating right away. So, these impressions, which I call personal revelation from the Lord, didn't go away after a few days. In fact it kept feeling more & more like a very spiritually important thing I needed to do. After discussing it with Dylan, we decided that the new year would be the perfect time to start. I actually quit purchasing meat at Christmas though.

So my reasons:
* There are tons of health benefits.
* Not worried about the protein issue everybody keeps asking me about.
* Better for the environment.
* Not supporting the practice of animals raised in factory farms.
* I believe it can help me to not feel constantly sluggish all the time.
* In keeping with the Word of Wisdom. To me "sparingly" does not mean every afternoon & evening.

To me it's totally logical. Things make sense that never did before. It seems totally clear. I don't expect everybody to agree with me & that's fine. We'll see how I feel at the end of the month. At this point I'm not sure if I can be a total vegetarian. But, who knows. I hope the month goes well with my family & I hope I can continue on for a long time as a flexitarian.

I will tell you that I cut back on my meat consumption during the last week of December & Haven't eaten any meat as of Jan. 1st. I am feeling great physically. I feel like I have more energy. I feel less bloated & haven't had any indigestion. I feel very full at meals & actually crave less between meals.

As the month goes on I will be sharing with you recipes of the foods that my family is eating. I'll try to give a rating from my meat loving husband. I would love any input or advice that you have. Here's to a healthy 2010!

27 comments:

chanel said...

coolio. i have to say though it made me laugh to read "god is not happy with the meat industry" i think he is not happy with a lot of things- makes me scared and have to stop thinking about it all. scary.
anyway i am pumped to get some awesome recipes. im not huge on meat, i guess we do the sparingly thing, but no way can i go without period. sometimes a hamburger (from Goodtimes- all natural) just calls my name!

k said...

wish everyone would just try to go meatless. the effect that would have....

http://lemmemakeit.blogspot.com/

Keri said...

I'm curious to see how it goes for you. My cousin in NV also went meatless recently & has loved it. I hear such good things, but don't know how or what I would cook...Hmmm...I'd love to hear what you're eating!

Candace said...

Chanel,
I do sound like a crazy person, huh?

K,
so very true.

Keri,
it really hasn't been hard so far. i'll start sharing soon. when i can find some time to post.

Marcie said...

As a fellow flexitarian -- way to go! I absolutely adore any cookbook by Nava Atlas (ESP. The Vegetarian Family Cookbook which is So incredibly family/kid friendly) She uses normal ingredients to make healthy, easy and delicious vegetarian meals -- I found her books at my public library :) Good luck!

Melissa Everett said...

sorry... I would be one of those people asking you about protein!!! Im sure dad was one of those people too!! I think it is great. I cant wait for your recipe sharring!

Sunny Tuesday said...

I love the idea of monthly resolutions rather than yearly ones. I think of my resolutions as more of a to-do list. If not for chicken and bacon and my hatred of beans in any form, I could easily be a vegetarian. But not a vegan.

Stacey said...

check out these sites -- if you haven't already.
www.101cookbooks.com
www.tamradaviscookingshow.com
might be helpful.

Janae said...

I've SOOO been feeling like cutting out the meat lately. I can't believe how cruelly animals are being treated. I'm watching Biggest Loser right now and these people are HUGE! Probably in part to all the meat and saturated fats they consume. I would LOVE some more ideas on meals...especially with beans. We love beans, just need to experiment with recipes more.

Also, how do you feel about egg beaters? Or do you think it's worth buying eggs from free-range chickens?

lindsey said...

I'm no vegetarian, but my favorite vegetarian meal is Pioneer Woman's Simple Sesame Noodles. They are yummy and you can add in as many veggies as you like. I always include red and yellow peppers and celery. Yummy!

Stacey said...

I forgot to mention in my earlier comment to check out some of Mollie Katzen's childrens cookbooks. I know of three and I think all are vegetarian. Good Luck!!

Becky said...

I eat very little meat and really don't like how I feel when I eat meat. We still have taco's and such I just substitute beans or spanish rice for the meat and my kids love it. Good luck.

MAB said...

So, I am not a vegetarian by any means...nor do I plan to be anytime soon. However, yesterday Oprah featured a man who she claims is the best "vegetarian/vegan" (sorry, never could tell because she used the words synonymously even though they aren't) chef. Anyway, she featured 2 recipes, and they both looked amazing. Thought you might want to check out her web-site for his name and the 2 recipes. Good luck! I'm looking forward to reading about your adventure and monthly resolutions.

Waldeck Dry Goods said...

Yay! I tried going meatless in college for one month, and now I've been vegetarian for 9 years. My husband will order meat if we go out to eat, and he will eat it if someone else prepares it (like his mom), but other than that our family eats no meat. There are tons of great recipes out there. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you! =)

Amber Liddle said...

I'd never heard of the term flexitarian--it made me laugh! I guess that's what I am, I was veg for 10 yrs and then started eating meat. My husband is meat and potatoes guy through and through, but I've gotten him to enjoy lots of veg items. Can't wait to see what recipes you try, I'm always on the lookout for more!

sarah.jones said...

Looking forward to seeing some of the recipes you try. Hope the switch goes well for your family:)

Rhian Drinkwater said...

Good luck. I became vegetarian as a New Year's Resolution six years ago and, apart from a conscious decision to eat meat when I was pregnant, it's actually been pretty easy to stick to ever since.

Erin L said...

The other day I made a yummy bean soup that was totally satisfying. And it kept me satisfied all through fast sunday. Well, now that I think about it I did put crumbled bacon on it, but seriously, I am really starting to like beans. I would really love to see some of your meatless recipes. For me "sparingly" I think can mean not very much - like crumbled bacon in soup - as well. Mostly I try to only serve "meat" once a day. but every once in a while, I love a nice medium-rare steak. mmm...

jessi said...

I think this is great - I would love to see meal ideas here on your blog. I try to do vegetarian meals 2-3 nights a week. I think I could go vegetarian easily, but I would have a hard time convincing my husband. We'll see - I really like the idea of eating only vegetarian at home.

Mandi said...

The Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier and The China Study by T. Colin Campbell converted me last year. I'm on par with your thoughts and feelings on this and I fully support you on your way :)

chanel said...

you don't sound "crazy", its just funny to think about, "what makes god mad?" You're super sweet to put the meat industry in that category, they probably wouldn't think of you as sweet. ;)
so you're gonna get super skinny now. that might be my motivation!!!

Mr. Philippe said...

Right on with the vegetarianism! Have you looked into organic milk as being better for us and the environment?

Regina said...

Good for you for trying it out.

I've been a vegetarian for 15 years (vegan for the last 4). My children have been vegetarians their whole life. Once you get a few handful of recipes that you like, it's really not much different than what you were doing before.

I have lots of links to some really great vegetarian websites over on my blog in the link section if you are interested.

Happy New year.

Erin said...

good for you! the word of wisdom has some amazing promises that no one should miss out on! i consider myself a flexitarian and have been for a while. We have chicken a couple of nights a week. i never buy red meat but occasionally (one every few months) we'll go out for a burger.

please do share your recipes as you go. i am always looking for new recipes, especially kid friendly ones.

kiki said...

i think this is an awesome idea! i've read so many books about veg, and i am currently reading eating animals by jonathan safran foer. i was veg in college for a while, but have not been consistent. one of my new years resolutions is to be healthy, and we are cutting back on meat and trying to buy as much organic products as possible. good luck and keep us posted! i can't wait to try out some of your recipes!

andrea said...

Totally agree. Devin and I have had this conversation tons of times! I think the two most ignored things in the church are eating meat sparingly, and not judging others! We have talked about what sparingly means and it sure doesn't mean two or even three times a day!! We try to eat veggie sandwiches, or salads for lunch, and have meat at dinner no more than 2 or 3 times a week. I will love these recipes I am sure, I can give you some I love too if you want.

The Iowa Farmer's Wife said...

Good for you! My husband and I are both vegetarians (he's been one for about 10 years longer than I have). Your recipes sound great! I'll have to try the couscous tacos! I'm doing a recipe challenge and will have one recipe per day this week if you are interested. They will all be meatless!
In fact, there is a chili recipe from last night posted. I feel like we eat the same stuff over and over so I'm trying out some new stuff this week.

Good luck!

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...