Monday, February 01, 2010

Going Meatless - Pizza

So we made our own pizza a lot this month. One time we even had friends over & we all put our own toppings on our own section of the pizza & it was fun & delicious. I have been using the pizza dough from fresh & easy & their refrigerated pizza sauce as well. We think that both are quite tasty. We love to add lots of toppings to our pizza. Green peppers, mushrooms, olives, pineapple, tomato slices & red onions.

The first time that we made the pizza minus pepperoni, Dylan wasn't all that in love with it. He missed the spiciness of the pepperoni. Next go around we added a little red onion & that seemed to make up for it. Pizza is definitely a favorite around here.

Here is a previously posted recipe for pizza dough.

So we made it through January without consuming much meat I think that I ate my first little bit of meat two weeks into the month & I didn't purchase any meat when shopping. We are happy with this arrangement. Meat no more than once or twice a week & even then only in very small amounts. We have found some recipes that we really like & will continue to search for more that our family loves. I think that we've found a setup that works really well for our family & we are all happy about it.

I will continue to share great recipes that we find & hope that you'll continue to share yours with me as well. I love finding them in my inbox, so keep 'em coming!

February brings a new month & new goals in addition to the ones I've been previously working on. I'll share more info on those soon.


Spencer Family said...

I tried this recipe tonight and got rave reviews--even from my picky 3yr old. I thought you guys might like it:

Corn Chowder
2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/4 cup onion, chopped fine
2 cups water (I used a can of vegetable broth and added 2oz water to make 2 cups)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Put in a pot and boil for 10 minutes.

While that is boiling in another pan melt 1/4 cup butter. Add 1/4 cup flour and stir. Add all at once 1 1/2 cups milk and stir constantly until thickened. Add 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese and stir until melted. Add 2 cup frozen corn (or 1 can corn, drained)

Add the white sauce to the larger pot of veggies and heat through. Garnish with bacon bits (optional).

homemade grits said...

that little pizza is so cute it doesn't look real! i admire your mission to eat less meat. we definitely need more vegetables in our life!

Tara said...

My family and I just made pizza tonight too! We don't have the gumption yet for making our own dough - so we use a loaf of ciabatta bread. Here's the recipe:

Cut ciabatta loaf in half
Spread olive oil, chopped garlic, cilantro, and basil on both loaves
Top with: shredded mozzarella, asiago, and parmesan cheese
oyster mushrooms
sliced tomato and sweet bell pepper
for a kick, add a few slices of serrano chili pepper


Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...