Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Mens Shirt to Toddler Skirt

I started with an old button down shirt of Dylan's that was headed to trash because of a rip in the elbow.

Drew a few straight lines & cut.


Serged the top & bottom & sewed down both sides of the buttons.

Then I made a casing at the top & put in some elastic. And I sewed some lace to the underside of the skirt hem. Please ignore my horribly sloppy stitching line at the bottom.


I'll be honest with you. I don't love this skirt. Perhaps I should have taken more time with measuring & all. It sits a bit funky on Sadie. It's a little shorter in the back than the front. I sorta hate this lace. I think it's too big & made the skirt end up looking sorta little house on the prairie-ish. But whatever! My girls were amazed that I turned daddy's shirt into a skirt.

15 comments:

Calise said...

Are you kidding? This is so cute! Love this idea!

Little Mave said...

that's adorable! i love the lace, great job! you're so talented and love your sewing projects!

Heather at All A Flutter said...

little prairie or not, that skirt is ca-ute!

The Smith Family said...

It's as cute as can be...I think you're on to something...maybe some "shirt-skirts" for the shop? I so wish I was as talented as you!

RachelDenbow said...

I think it's beautiful! I love the print on his shirt and the lace isn't too precious. Just right.
I made a dress yesterday by winging it, as I usually prefer to do, and it was a little frustrating that it didn't turn out as great as it had in my head. Time to tweak it and see what happens!

Chanda said...

Candace- you give me such great ideas! I'm going to do this ASAP! I was doing laundry and saw one of Aaron's shirts had ripped - what a great idea. Also, I "stole" your idea of a tooth pillow a couple of weeks ago - Kathryn lost her tooth and wanted me to make her something. So in less than 2 hours a tooth pillow for the tooth fairy was complete! Thank you!!

Lauralee said...

I love it! I think the lace makes it just right. Great idea!

Lise said...

I love the contrast of delicate lace with manly fabric; looks great!

Pink Little Ladies said...

I think it looks cute!

Kara said...

Candace!!! I think it's adorable, and so creative!

Josh said...

I'm not much into sewing, or skirts, but that is awesome.

Estelle said...

Good lord, woman. You are hard on yourself. That skirt is adorable and you've totally inspired me to try that with one of my husbands shirts.

Lupe Uele said...

I LOVE IT!I JUST THREW OUT MY HUSBANDS OLD SHIRTS BUT NOW I HAVE TAKE THEM BACK IN AND JUST FINISHED ONE SKIRT FOR MY DAUGHTER SHOULD HAVE SEEN HER FACE.THANK YOU

Lyndab2u said...

Love this idea. We are too hard on ourselves.

Lyndab2u said...

Love this idea. We are too hard on ourselves.

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...