Sunday, April 18, 2010

Little Girl Leggings Tutorial


I asked your advice a little while back on the best brand of leggings for little girls. Well, a few of you wonderfully smart readers suggested that I make my own. Duh! Not even sure why that didn't even cross my mind. I am loving my serger & getting more & more curious about sewing with knits, so why not try?!

I decided to try a pair for Claire on Friday afternoon & I am so happy with how they turned out. I took photos along the way so that I could show you exactly what I did. If you've made pajama pants for your kids, it's the exact same thing, just with knit jersey fabric (or any other stretch fabric) & a skinnier leg.

I started with a pair of H&M leggings that fit Claire well. I laid them on the fabric. Notice where the folded edge is.


Then I cut around the pants about a quarter inch bigger along the length of the leg & an inch longer at the top & 1/2 an inch longer at the bottom.

Take the leg piece you just cut out. Lay it on the fold of another section of the fabric & use it as a pattern to cut another leg piece.

With right sides together, sew up the leg pieces.

Next, turn one leg piece right side out.

Insert it into the other leg piece so that you have the seams lining up & right sides together.

Pin in place & then sew together along the curve.

Now here's where my camera battery died, but I kept going. Sorry. At this point with the pants inside out, serge along the top edge, or waist of the pants & along the edge of both of the leg holes.

Fold the waist down one inch & sew it in place with your regular sewing machine to create a casing for the elastic, leaving a few inches open.

The waist will have a space for the elastic to go in.

The leg holes can now be folded under & top stitched into place. One of my readers suggested adding some stretch lace at the leg openings. I think this is a fabulous idea. I just didn't happen to have any on hand when I made these.

Using a safety pin on your elastic, thread your elastic into the casing at the waist. When you've got it through & the length that you want it, pin the elastic ends together & sew in place going back & forth with your sewing to reinforce it. Stitch the opening closed & you're done!


Try them on your little cutie & be proud of yourself.




I bought this knit jersey fabric either with a 50% off coupon or on a 50% off sale. It was under $4 a yard. I think I remember it being $3.50? I used less than half a yard to make these so they were cheap & quick. I'm excited to make more!

24 comments:

Laura said...

They look great Candace. I've recently been sewing a lot with knit, mostly lap tees. I'm going to try making a pair of these soon. Thanks for the tute.

Michele said...

Wonderful tutorial! I've been pricing sergers lately, if you don't mind me asking, what brand/model of serger do you own? Are you happy with it? Thanks for the crafty inspiration!

casserole said...

I love leggings for little girls!! They're just so practical and so cute! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-sew-a-pair-of-little-girls-leggings/2010/04/19/

--Anne

Kristan said...

Oh my gosh! That looks so easy!! Thank you for this awesome tutorial :)

Debbie said...

What type of knit did you use and where did you find it? I'm always searching for a good knit source, other than chezami...I already purchase there.

Candace said...

Michele, my machine is old. It's a singer untralock 14u234. Not even sure what year it was produced. Maybe it's from the 70's? Anyway, it's sturdy & awesome & I love it.

Debbie, I used knit jersey from Joann's. They have a variety of solid colors, not so sure about prints. Stripes would be adorable for these leggings!

Sarah said...

"La La Love" these!
You continue to build my confidence! Thanks.

chanel said...

you're a GENIUS! seriously GENIUS and a damn fine seamstress!

holy heck!

homemade grits said...

oh to have a serger! these turned out perfect and the cutie pie model makes the leggings even cuter!

Karie from The Hasty Crafter said...

So cool! These would work great under my very active 4-year-old's skirts. Thanks for sharing!

emily said...

great tutorial!! i am really itching to get a serger . . . and this makes me want one more!!! :O)

the leggings are so cute!!

Myrnie said...

Ooh, I've been looking for something like this- GREAT pictures! I seriously sew everything inside out and backwards when I do stuff like this :) Thanks! (Came over from One Pretty Thing.)

Arkerchi said...

cool... time to go look for some knit and make a dozen for my little one who suffers from eczema, helps to cover the ugly rash that scares people off. lovelly tutorial. thanks.

Chris said...

Candace, I wish you lived closer! I need some leggings for my girly, but don't have a serger yet...and have had a horrible experience with knits on my regular machine.

Andrea said...

Great tutorial! I've been meaning to whip up some leggings for my girls. If you'd like, stop by and link up to my Thursday party Make it Wear it, especially for all things made to be worn!

TheTrainToCrazy.com

Miss Megan said...

i will most definetly be giving this a shot VERY soon!! thanks a ton!

<3 megan.
www.a-ruffle-in-time.com

Eric said...

I'm so impressed with your leggings skills. Love the color. It's a lot of fun.

Deidre and Aaron said...

Thanks so much. I've been searching for green/white tights for a Halloween costume but couldn't find them in the right size. So.... I got a t-shirt from Goodwill and made leggings instead with your instructions! They are CUTE and will be warmer than tights anyway. :)

Sockoes said...

awesome idea!!! if you still want to know the best leggings for girls buy them online at www.sockoes.com

Nic said...

Great tutorial. Im not quite sure how to use my overlocker yet, and was wondering if zig zagging the edges would still work as well?

Zoobeedoobee said...

I went a bit silly and made a few pair thank you for the awesome tutorial! http://zoobeedoobee.blogspot.com/2011/02/yoga-band-on-leggins.html

Kath said...

Hi, I have been making bike shorts for my girls for rowing for years and this is how I finished off the end of the legs: overlock the ends, then press up about 1cm. Take the bed-thing off your sewing machine, so just the "arm"is left. Put the end of the leg under the foot, with the inside on the top. Set your stitch so that it is JUST zigzag, and sew round. Youcan stretch the material just a bit, as it will press back into place. Press on the outside, and there's your neat, stretchy edge.

Faye said...

love the tutorial. i wouldnt have thought to make tights! i have triplet nieces! so this is right up my alley, although i have only a son and im pregnant with twin boys so no tights in my immediate future unless the girls would like them.

i have made pants before but i sew it together totally different way lol. instead of sewing the legs part first, i unfold the two pieces and lay them right sides together, sew the crotch line up to the waist. adjust the now one piece- then sew from one leg bottom all the way over to the other leg. saves me one stop and start sew line. and i dont get confused as to what to put backwards etc.

OH and i love the tshirt night gown tutorial. i will have to do that for sure. i have lots of nieces!

Faye said...

i just love your blog. i just found it via the surfing you do late at night at all the wonderful craft pages! i dont think i will ever know how i landed here but i just have enjoyed post after post! thanks so much for sharing and awesome job with the thrifting and crafting.

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...