Tuesday, May 11, 2010

First Dress for Kids Clothes Week

I think I'm going to focus on skirts & dresses for Kids Clothes Week. We are in the desert after all & summer is approaching quickly. I think easy breezy dresses & skirts are most what the girls need. I've also got another big sewing project going on this week, so I'm not sure that I'll actually be able to sew kid clothes each day, but I'm going to try. I think I may actually carry on into next week. Yep, that sounds good to me. :)


I bought this really funky patterned fabric off the clearance pile at Joann's last week. It was on sale for an additional 50% off & for some reason I liked it. I couldn't pass it up. I kept coming back to it. And so I purchased my 3/4 yard & paid $1.50 for it & brought it home. I did feel the need to explain to the employee that was cutting that I knew the fabric was weird, I just had a thing for it. Like I needed to keep my street cred at Joann's?! Dylan wasn't really very fond of it when I showed it to him...or maybe he was just annoyed that I had bought even more fabric.


Anyway, I had a vision for it & here it is. I made this dress for Sadie. No pattern. It's not perfect. There are some bumps & tucks here & there that I should really go back & fix, but I think I'm just going to leave it as is. Except after seeing it on her, I'd like to bring the hem up a few inches.


Sadie didn't think twice about the crazy print. She asked me if she could wear it today & tomorrow & the next day. I call that a success. :)

13 comments:

busbyhive said...

This turned out sooo cute! You had the right vision for sure!!

ringmaster said...

i love it! i used some half off clearance fabric from joanns also for my first day. they always have the crazy and weird fabrics in that pile it just makes me want them more!!

abby @ tales and trials said...

I actually really like that fabric! And I think your dress turned out so cute!!

Brittany said...

Definitely a funky pattern but WAYYY cute! I like what you did with it! How sweet that she loves it and wants to wear it so much! :)

Over Yonder said...

Very cute!

Chasity said...

This is so cute. I think the fabric worked perfect for this little dress. I have just started doing a little sewing and am just amazed by it ... it's so cool that something so useful can be created. Humm, is that a weird thought?

I recently made my very first dress, for my 3 year old adorable cousin. When I mailed it to her, she wanted to wear it that night ... that is a good feeling!

Here it is:

http://theintertwinedlife.blogspot.com/2010/05/pillow-case-dress.html

Andrea said...

That dress is so cute! I love it when I make something for my kids and they gush over it.

chanel said...

its a good thing you have an eye for these things. i think you're hilarious for explaining to the cutter. those old bats don't care! joann "ladies" are right up there with librarians on my list of people that BUG! wuz up??

marky said...

Got my motivation to sew going!! A good thing because I have been in a super slump!!

I LOVE the pattern and the dress is super cute!!

marky

Andrea said...

Isn't it great when they want to wear it as much as you want them to? I don't blame her, it is adorable!

I have a weekly Thursday blog party especially for people to share things they've made to be worn. Stop by if you'd like! http://TheTrainToCrazy.com

hanci06 said...

Your daughter loves the dress and that's what's important!And I think you matched the colors.I like the dress.
I have few projects in my mind,but also think I'll have to carry on into next week!

Margit Rosenaa said...

nice - super cute and perfect - I JUST LOVE IT!

Nicole Thomas said...

Excellent web site you have got here. . It's difficult to find quality writing like yours these days. I honestly appreciate individuals like you! Take care!! My web page
kids clothing
kids clothes australia

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...