Thursday, May 06, 2010

Guest Post - Foxs Lane

Kate lives with her family on an organic farm in the country in Australia. She has three really cute daughters that she makes the most awesome clothes for. Her vintage sheet collection makes me drool. Whenever I think of simplifying my life I think of Kate. I love her writing. She is so real. She is willing to show her vulnerability on her blog, Foxs Lane & that makes me feel like I can relate to her in so many ways. Would we be friends if we didn't live so far away? I like to think so!




10 things I am loving about being a mother right now.

1) I love that being a mother entitles me to be silly in public. Often I sing funny songs, do little dances or behave in a most unladylike manner. Sometimes it’s because I am trying to distract my little ones, other times because one of them started and I joined in.

2) I love what my daughters come up with during our dinnertime family ritual when we each tell what we are grateful for: from the simple 'I am grateful for my sisters and parents' to the profound 'I am grateful we are eating the most gorgeous vegetables our Dad grew here on our farm'.

3) I love it when my children play nicely together, or when one helps another out, or when they sit together chatting. Recently my 9-year-old has been helping her younger sister with reading. She is so patient and caring with her.

4) I love watching my kids sleeping: listening to their quiet breathing and watching their serene faces. They are so angelic when they are asleep that I forget the stress they caused me a few hours earlier.

5) I love it when my husband and our three daughters and I do something together as a family. Recently we were driving somewhere when a song came on the radio from a movie we had recently watched. It was the song where the two lovers finally get together. Instantly we all sang – together and loudly. This feeling of unity and fun and love is what it is all about for me.


6) I love sewing clothes and dressing my girls. In the past few years I have made more and more of their clothes. There is nothing quite like the feeling of something you have made being their favourite, and being worn so often that it wears out.

7) I love all the gifts they give me. Posies, special rocks, artworks, and lots of love notes and other treasures. Because MUM is one of the first words they learn to write, I see I LOVE MUM scribbled on newspapers, and in the fog on windows.

8) I love watching each of my children's unique personality emerge, and I marvel at how they are a product of the world they live in, but also of their parents. I rejoice that they are positive, passionate, loving and kind girls.

9) I love the cooking, the crafting, the making, the playing, the building, the make believe and the magic that comes with being a mother. It gives me permission to play games that adults are meant to have grown out of. I get to dress and undress baby dolls, build towers of blocks and do jigsaw puzzles. Lucky me.

10) I love that being a mother of a young family gives me permission to reinvent rules and traditions. Now I don't have to uphold my childhood traditions – unless I choose to. The same tooth fairy who visited me when I was a girl now visits my girls. But these days our family traditions have more to do with the seasons and our farm activities, than events from thousands of years ago. Though it’s difficult for our girls when they don't get many Christmas presents and Easter eggs, if we discuss things as a family and plan new traditions relevant to them, they feel happy and in control and proud of who they are.

18 comments:

MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

What a cute family, I'll have to check out her blog.

crzylady said...

oh goodness.. I just love kate.. and she's made me cry!

Candace said...

i love #6, #3, #4, #9 & #7....actually I love them all. This post made me smile from the beginning to the end. Thanks, Kate. :)

Kate said...

Thanks so much to YOU Candace for asking me to be a part of such a special week on your blog. Its such a thrill to see my words and my family here. My girls got a bit of a kick out of seeing them selves on your blog too. XX

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

Pepper is so friggin cute I can't get over it!!! Great post Kate, reminds us all that it's the little things that really make us happy.

manda said...

Beaauuutiful post Kate. Full of real sweetness.
Manda xo

Kim Baise said...

Wow! You couldn't have told it better. I am a mother of 3 little ones too and can fully relate. This is the best motherhood/mother's day post EVER.
Thank you.

Little Ted Canvas said...

Perfect! What a beautiful way to describe motherhood...we are all so very lucky aren't we!

The Organic Paddock said...

I loved this Kate, what an ace post. I really liked the photo's too, how beautiful they all are. Did you get a shot with you in it too? Your family is lucky to have a mum who is so involved & caring - and so loving & fun! Keep on dancing xo

Reece's said...

I actually tilted my head like they did in the last shot...funny! Great post!

Copper Patch said...

You're just as cool and eloquent across the ocean Kate. Love ya!

Megan.K. said...

So much here that I can relate to. Thanks Kate.

indi said...

I love your writting Mum!
from Indi:)

the textured leaf said...

Wow! you neednt have worried at how youd sound to those who dont 'know' you!
You just sound yummy and real as always,
x

teddybearswednesday said...

Beautiful Wonderful Post Kate. xo

Jana said...

Lovely family! Being a mom is an amazing thing.And I'm so jealous that you get to live on an organic farm.
Jana

Pip Lincolne said...

I loved reading all about Kate! Yay for Kate and Her Lovely Fella and their brood! xx

debra said...

Beautiful Kate....sounds just like you, to me! Congrats on doing such a good job, here and as a mamma :)

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...