Saturday, May 08, 2010

Motherhood Week Wrap Up



When my Sadie girl was in preschool, I went through a tough time as a mother. We had this constant power struggle for about two years. I would go to bed many nights feeling frustrated & like I wasn't parenting her correctly, but I didn't know the right way to teach her. Now that Claire has turned 3 and is starting to act like a little monster as well, I realize that this may have just been the age that Sadie was at. Still, I'd never had a preschooler before. This stage was new to me & with a headstrong little girl like Sadie, I was struggling & I was down on myself.

At Sadie's preschool graduation, each of the kids got up & said what they wanted to be when they grew up. One by one the kids got up & said that they wanted to be teachers & doctors & princesses when they grew up. When it was Sadie's turn, she announced that she wanted to be a Mom when she grew up & the whole audience let out one big group "Awwww".

Then, when I got her preschool journal home I found some really sweet & interesting things:




It was at this moment that even though this child is fiercely independent & wants to fight me on every little thing I ask her to do, it doesn't mean that she doesn't love me or doesn't like me. She loves me more than anything. I was & still am her constant. I'm the person that is with her the most every day. The one that has been with her for every new experience & every scary experience. I've been with her for every doctor appointment, every dentist appointment, every vaccination, every talk in sunday school. I've dressed her & bathed her & combed her hair most days. I've fed her & snuggled her & sang silly songs to her. I've helped her pick out her glasses & helped her understand the world around her. I've taken her to the park & baked her birthday cakes & made her clothes and toys.

I've been with her for so much that she's experienced in this life. I'm kinda a big deal to her. And it's important that I remember that when I feel that our personalities are clashing. I am so thankful to the wonderful preschool teacher that was so sweet & wrote down all that little Sadie said about her journal entries. I'm thankful to be a Mom. I feel that I'm only continuing to improve in this role & I'm thankful for the best kids in the world (seriously) for helping me with this progression.

I am certain that the most important work we will ever do will be within the walls of our homes. Hug those babies tighter. Don't be so hard on yourselves. Be positive even with the mundane housework. Know that you are extremely important in the lives of your family. So much of the attitude & feeling of the home depends on you. You are kinda a big deal to every person in your family. You are awesome.

Happy Mother's Day to you all! Thank you so very much to all of our guest bloggers. Weren't they amazing?

14 comments:

A. said...

Thank you so. much. for this post. This is exactly what I needed today (and every day, for that matter)!

Sonia said...

wow. great post. Made me teary :*) I feel the same way now with my teenagers.

Cherine said...

Happy Mom's Day! You are a great mother!

{lizzythebotanist} said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
{lizzythebotanist} said...

beautifully put. when i can keep this perspective my days are SO much better and rewarding. sometimes i lose focus and it's little reminders like these that get me back on track. thanks! and happy mother's day!

Reece's said...

loved it all!

Kate said...

I was felling so blah til I read this, thanks heaps! :)

chanel said...

oh man, you make me CRY! HARD. This is BEAUTIFUL! What a sweetheart sadie is and how incredibly special. Thanks for putting it all into words.
LOVE YOU!
and ps- LOVE her face in that picture! ha!!!!

pamela said...

love this! thank you : )

merrill said...

Just found your blog after a friend sent me the ruffle top tut. (Supatronic cute, BTW.)

I've been reading all of your mother posts in honor of Mother's Day and I am bawling. Such lovely moms, all of them.

Hang in there. Three was the hardest age by far with my girls, Lucy and Della Fern. I often lose perspective and your post reminded me that I need to try and get it back.

Sweet blog!

nicole said...

Usually a lurker here...but I had to pop in to say thank you for the week of posts on motherhood - I loved them all!!!
And found such comfort in the commonality we all share as moms :)
thank you!!

Christina said...

I said the same thing when I was little, my mom has the picture I drew and everything. I just wanted to be a mom. And even though I went to school for a career, it never changed. I'm happiest as a mom. :)

Wonderful idea, I had so much fun reading everyones posts!

Jen said...

I needed this. Thank you! I'm not kidding when I tell you that I am printing this out and posting it on my bathroom mirror. When I have those points in the day where I just can't take the constant battles...I'll stand in front of the mirror, read your AWESOME quote and remember that I am the constant. =) Again...thank you!

Gina said...

Thanks so much for this post! I just stumbled over here from Lil' Blue Boo, but God knew that this post is what I need at this very moment. My oldest child is just like this...I go to bed most nights feeling just like you described and your post has encouraged me beyond measure. Thank you!

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...