Monday, June 14, 2010

Bountiful Baskets


Living in Nevada this year, I knew I would be missing our CSA share program that we participated in last year in Ohio. However, I've been really happy to stumble upon a food co-op called Bountiful Baskets. You can purchase produce baskets on a weekly basis, but there is no commitment required. Just purchase whenever you want one.

The baskets are 50% fruit & 50% vegetables. The photo above is the conventional basket that I purchased last week. The conventional basket is the same foods that the grocery stores purchase. The co-op just pools everybody's money together & is able to purchase the food at a great savings to the contributors.

Get this though, the conventional basket costs $15.00 plus a $1.50 handling fee. So all the food in the top image cost me $16.50!

This week we were also able to purchase a tortilla pack which included 3 dozen large flour tortillas (and I mean large!), 2 dozen small flour & 2 dozen small corn tortillas for $10. They look handmade & we are so exited to try them out as burritos tonight!


They also offer an organic basket which I picked up a few weeks ago. (pictured below. sorry for the crappy photo.) The organic baskets cost $25 and are only available every other week. I loved this organic basket! Everything was delicious. Especially the berries & grapes. They were so perfectly sweet. No tartness at all.


Bountiful Baskets are available in Nevada, Arizona, Washington, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming & Texas. Check their website to see if they are available in your city. While it's not all locally grown food, I don't feel bad participating, since nothing is grown locally here in the middle of the desert. And I get to experience the excitement of picking up my surprise produce. That really is thrilling to me. Not exactly sure why, but it's fun. Also, I sure do love a deal & this definitely is a good deal.

7 comments:

the mama monster said...

we do it here in utah. i love it! i get their 9 grain bread and it is amazing.

Kate said...

We just delivered 150 dozen eggs to a warehouse to be distributed into organic baskets like yours. I have never been able to do the basket thing as I feel like I need to touch and choose each individual item for myself but the savings you are talking about are fantastic and well worth a second look.

the fellers said...

Ok, a lot of people I know do this, and I am interested, but I want to know how to sign up for it, I went on their website and created a user, but I cant figure out how to do this? Would you mind emailing me shonandvin@hotmail.com to let me know how to sign up for this?? thanks so much!!

angelina said...

this looks so yummy: esp the tortillas!

Reece's said...

Candace! I am surprised you are not growing your own here! Me and my family all have a garden that we grow a ton of stuff in! I know you dont have your "own" yard right now, but tomatoes are an easy pot plant and so are fresh herbs. For example right now between my Dad, my brother and myself we are growing: Tomatoes, Zucchini, Yellow squash, pumpkins, strawberries, green beans, cilantro, basil, tyme, rosemary, sage, mint, onions, and the list goes on and on! Try it, you will be surprised at what will grow here. All you need is good, organic dirt and water :)

chanel said...

oh my gosh- how awesome!!! how'd you find that?? you're the coolest.

Mandi said...

i tried to order today, if there is no organicoption, does that mean its an of week maybe?

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...