Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Recent Sewing Projects

A few of my recent completed sewing projects:

Burp cloths for my little sister (We're only 18 months apart, but she'll always be my little sister.) that just had a new baby boy.


I love burp cloths. Double layer flannel are my favorite. They are soft & really absorbent. I just cut two layers in the shape of rectangle with rounded corners & serge all the way around. If using a regular sewing machine, just stitch right sides together leaving an opening for turning. Then turn them out, iron flat & top stitch around. I think they are a sweet, useful gift & they look great rolled up.


In going through our camping gear, we realized that one of our mummy sleeping bags was missing it's storage bag. So I sure did just whip one up for it. I thought that the brown fabric looked a little camp like.



And I've also been working on some lightweight summer sleeping shorts for the girls. I love to make these a little baggy because they'll fit the girls for a few years.


One of the reasons that I love sewing, is because it saves me money. I don't buy pajamas for the girls anymore, I just whip them up shorts or pants from fabric in my stash & have them wear their old t-shirts to bed. And it felt good to make a bag for the sleeping bag out of what I had on hand. Dylan mentioned trying to find a replacement bag to buy & then asked if I could just make one. Yep! No need to spend money when you have the materials & the skills! :)

14 comments:

ringmaster said...

i love that camping bag!!! i think i need one!

sew nancy said...

the camping bag and shorts are cute. i bet people would love a tutorial for those items
i just made some pajamas as well.

violetcrafts said...

I love sewing also and always find time to make something new. And it saves the money, but the reward is that I have the unique dress or my baby has uniques slippers... This is the essence of sewing for me.

angelina said...

i totally agree..makeit! my LITTLE sis and i are the same, love the crocs.xx

Paula Kathlyn said...

Very cute! Love the shorts :)

Melanie said...

And doesn't it make you happy when the husband has confidence you CAN make something?

I love that camping bag, I might have to link to it this week- I'm talking camping on my blog!

Erin L said...

so, I have a question and if you would do a whole post about it that would be wonderful, or just shoot me an email or a comment on my blog or whatever, but...

how do you have so much fabric on hand? I've found that by the time I buy fabric, I spend as much as I would have buying pjs. Tell me your secrets Candace.

Selina said...

Gorgeous! I love those shorts!

Reece's said...

Your amazing...seriously!

Shelby said...

Great work! I love the thriftiness of making things myself too :)

Claire Kiefer said...

So jealous of your skills--all those things are adorable.

Chloe said...

I'm looking into buying a serger - i'm wondering what yours is and what recommendations you have?

Thanks, Chloe

Fine Hand said...

I very much agree with sewing to save a little bit of money and the results are always unique!

chanel said...

very cool. i thought how cool sadie will be at girls camp with that bag. ;) and weird ryan left such a heart felt comment, huh? weirdo.

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...