Friday, August 20, 2010

Meatless Taco Salad

If you're not a vegetarian & not interested in eating less meat in order to protect animals, protect the environment, make a stand for food safety, etc., then I would encourage you to try to eat meatless at least twice a week & your motivation can be to save money. Sound good? Oh also it's good for your health. There's another reason. :)

This is an easy, easy recipe. It's super tasty & delicious & takes no time. I basically use an old taco salad recipe that I used to make & I just leave out the ground beef, because you don't need that red meat. It tastes just as good, if not better & is healthier for you.

Okay! The bean mixture is super easy. Just 3 ingredients. A can of pinto beans (could also use kidney beans or any other bean you want), a can of cream corn & a packet of taco seasoning.


Put all three in a skillet & cook over medium heat until well mixed & heated through.


Then use it on your taco salad. We find that the best combination is to use Hint of Lime tortilla chips & ranch dressing. Of course you're going to have lettuce & then whatever other toppings you want. We like shredded cheese, olives, diced tomatoes, avocado, a squeeze of lime & a few cilantro sprigs.


Enjoy!

8 comments:

{kimmymade} said...

I agree wholeheartedly, though I have to say that as a vegetarian of 24 years (since I was 14 years old) who is raising her two kids vegetarian, even I thought that lede was a little heavy-handed and perhaps off-putting to the non-veggies out there who don't appreciate being judged any more than environmentally-conscious people enjoy being dismissed as fruity hippies.

But in the same spirit, in your efforts to "protect the environment, make a stand for food safety" you might also consider avoiding processed nutritionally unsound foods like Ranch dressing, artificially-flavored torilla chips and creamed corn, and those BPA-lined cans ;-) Just sayin'

Candace said...

Kimmy,

I must clear up that I am not a vegetarian. I try. I try really hard. I know a lot of my friends & readers think it's nuts. So I was listing my "nutso" reasons & then trying to give them a few reasons that may be appealing to them. I am not above anybody. No way, jose.

I am progressing for sure. I know this isn't the healthiest dish. But it is easy, quick & kid friendly. Sometimes those things are more appealing to families that haven't quite made it to eating just entirely natural diets. We Americans have some bad habits. We have along way to come. Perhaps this meal meets in the middle somewhere.

A little ranch dressing isn't going to kill you every now & then. The hint of lime chips taste awesome in this. And canned ingredients are convenient & easy. So shoot me. I suck, whatever. I'm trying. And I'm sharing what is working for us.

Anna said...

Oh my goodness...that looks really delicious! I can't wait to try it. I'm not a vegetarian, but have just figured out that I don't really like meat all that much. There are so many dishes that taste just as good without it.

Carolina said...

Candace,
This looks super yummy! We cut our red-meat down to once a week because I was having tummy/gall bladder issues... which have cleared up quite a bit since we made the switch!
My hubby is a die-hard meat eater, so we'll never go completely vegetarian (they would have to come up with a really convincing soy bacon for us to even consider it)!
When I make Tacos around here, I just use ground turkey - the first time I did it, hubby actually asked, "Is this Turkey?" He couldn't be sure, it tasted so much like the "real thing." Using ground turkey, eating fish, and recipes like the one you just shared let us save our "red meat night" for burgers and steaks. : )
And... I was just fine with your lead. Just sayin... : )

ashleyd! said...

do you drain both of the cans or include the juice? this recipe looks so good!!

Candace said...

Ashley,

Drain both cans! Duh! Totally forgot to mention that.

Thanks :)

Candace said...

Oops! I mean just drain the beans....dump the cream corn in.

I don't know where my head is!

Anna said...

Made this for dinner tonight...super yum! I used black beans and homemade salsa :-)

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...