Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Less Boxy, More Awesome


We found some cute Star Wars t-shirts in the boys section of Target this weekend & they were marked down to 5 bucks. Sadie picked out this R2-D2 one that had a little bit of pink & purple in it. So we bought one in an XS size, but it still seemed huge on her. It's crazy how a boxy tee looks totally normal on a little boy, but super weird on a little girl.

I don't have a before pic, because she was way excited to wear it the next day & there was no waiting for the sun to come out to get a good before shot. So, using a t-shirt from her closet as a guide, I took in the sides a bit & shortened the sleeves. In the same way that I make them night gowns out of adult t-shirts. Check out my tutorial on that here.

You could use this concept to make better fitting t-shirts for yourself & your kids. Just think, if you found an awesome vintage t-shirt that was just way too boxy to look cool. It really only takes a few minutes to alter it & then you have an awesome new piece that fits perfectly.

11 comments:

A. said...

That is the most awesome idea ever. I can't tell you how many times I've seen boy shirts at Target that I love but would feel weird putting on my girls. Weirdness no more. :)

Melody said...

That's awesome!

Renee•Candy Stick Lane said...

Looks Fantastic!

happyfind said...

Hi Candace! My girls are Star Wars freaks and they would so wear this. That's a great tutorial, I'm gonna try that.

Oh... LOVE your blog BTW...

felicia said...

Adorable! This is a great idea! My son has the same shirt. Come to think of it I think he has every Star Wars shirt that Old Navy and Target make.....he's a little obsessed :) But one of my friend's has been looking for one for her daughter. I'll have to give one a makeover!

Tanya said...

I love to do this w/shirts I pick up at the thrift store. Such a great idea!

Jenny said...

R2!!!!!!

ashley said...

such a cool shirt- good work!
i keep meaning to tell you- my mother in law kept my husband and his bothers star war sheets and we just found them the other day. vintage star war sheets, two different sets, they are awesome and reminded me of you! i would love to offer them to you, but the husband is emotionally attached :)

Campfire Chic said...

She is unbelievable cute in this photo!

Cook Clean Craft said...

The T-shirt turned out great. I wish I knew how to do this years ago before I gave away my concert souvenir T-shirts.

Lauralee said...

she is looking so old-oh my goodness. And I love how the shirt turned out. Awesome.

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...