Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tutorial - Quilted Big Stripe Pillow

Today I'm going to show you how to make this super cool pillow.  I combined white & navy blue solid fabrics to make a stripe design & then quilted the pillow top for an awesome wrinkly texture.

You will need to cut the following fabrics for the pillow front:

3 pieces of navy blue fabric measuring 4 inches by 18.5 inches.
2 pieces of white fabric measuring 4 inches by 18.5 inches.

You will also need to cut 2 pieces of navy blue fabric measuring 13 inches by 18.5 inches for the back of the pillow.

Cut another piece of white fabric measuring 18.5 inches by 18.5 inches.
Also cut a piece of batting measuring 18.5 inches by 18.5 inches.

Lastly, you need an 18 inch x 18 inch pillow form to go inside the finished pillow cover.

Sew the blue & white fabric strips right sides together along the long sides to make the pillow top stripe design.  Trim your threads & press out your seams.

Next we are going to get ready to do the quilting.  Layer the following:  18.5 x 18.5 inch white fabric on bottom, right side down.  Next, place the batting piece in the middle & the pillow front piece on top.  Pin them all together like shown above using quilting pins or safety pins.

Take your quilt sandwich to the sewing machine & begin sewing your quilting lines.  I didn't mark anything.  I just started at the edge of my stripe seams & stitched lines horizontally along the pillow top, using my presser foot as a guide.  I just lined up the edge of my presser foot with the previous quilting line & used that as a guide.  Remove the safety pins as needed.

I used white thread on the white sections of the pillow & navy thread on the navy blue sections of the pillow.  When you're finished quilting it will look like this:

Trim off all the threads & any batting that is poking out.  Set the front piece aside.

Next, take your two backing pillow pieces & hem up one of the 18.5 inch sides on each piece.  Fold over the long side edge 1/4 inch & iron flat.  Then fold over another 1/4 inch & iron flat.  Then stitch in place.  You just have to do this along one of the long sides on both of the pieces of fabric.

Now we are going to sew the pillow front & back together.  Place the pillow front right side up & pin one of the backing pieces right side down to one side of the pillow front, lining up the edges as shown above.

Next lay the other backing piece on top right side down & lining it up with the other side of the pillow.  Pin in place.  Sew around the entire edge of the pillow making sure to stitch through all layers.

Remove the pins & clip the corners of the pillow.  The construction of the pillow cover is now finished & you could put it on your pillow form at this point, but I suggest throwing the pillow cover in the washing machine & dryer first.  It will give it that nice wrinkly quilted texture.  Insert your pillow form & you're done!  The back of the pillow will look like this:

The front will look like this:

I have lots of love for this pillow.  I love the dark blue with the white.  It feels really modern & bold to me and also kind of nautical at the same time.  I hope you'll make one too in whatever colors your little heart desires.  If you do make one, please share!  I'd love to see.  :)


Keri said...

Wow, that's super cute! I've been wanting to re-cover some of my pillows, so I may have to try this.

Erin L said...

that is way cute! I've been trying to decide what kind of pillows to make for my front room. Maybe I'll have to try this. How much do pillow forms cost?

Brenda said...

Love this, thanks!! Think I will make one in grey and yellow stripes for my bed.

Anna said...

Love this! It has a very nautical feel to it.

yellowmum said...

Candace! I love this! It's gorgeous, and the blue and white is perfect.

Caitlin T. said...

candace, this is so cute! i need to recover some pillows and these cases would be amazing. thank you so much for sharing!

Erin said...

love, love, love this!!

dana said...

darling Candace! Very cute. Very cool. Very cozy.

Marisa said...

So sharp! I need to make one of these.

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...