Monday, November 29, 2010

Thrift Finds

It was a pretty good thrifting month, especially with the 50% off after Thanksgiving sale at Goodwill last Saturday.  We ended up stopping in at 3 Goodwill stores but only made purchases at the very first one.  I guess it does pay off to go early on those good sale days.  The best find of the day was this fantabulous mirror.  I paid $5.00.  Dylan is sick of hearing me talk about this mirror, but I really couldn't love it more.


Also found on the same trip was this vintage Mikasa sugar bowl.  I love vintage Mikasa.  Especially the creamers, sugar bowls & coffee pots.  This avocado green one was in excellent condition & there was no way I could pass it up for $1.00.


I think Savers may be the best place to find vintage sheets in Las Vegas.  Their linens section is larger than any other thrift store's.  I paid $2.99 a piece for all of these sheets.  There are 3 of the yellow ones on the left, which I love!  The middle pink I've only ever had before in a faded pillowcase, so I was happy to find a bright twin size of that & the orange on on the right is really fun as well.  Colorful sheets like these always make me really happy.


I've also been buying solid sheets for use in my sewing projects.  The turquoise one was brand new from Target & the green is a Walmart brand in really great shape.  I paid $2.50 a piece for these.


Another great find was this cotton fabric.  It had never even been washed.  It's a nice bright red with tiny white polka dots.  I know that I've bought some of this from Joanns before & they may still be selling it there.  I got a whopping 4 yards for $1.50.


I was happy to find two wreaths for some holiday projects that I have in mind.  The green wreath was $1.50 & the straw wreath form was $.25.


I could not walk away from this last sheet.  It's not the style that I tend to buy, but I loved it.  I thought it would make some cute flowy summer dresses for the girls.  Can't remember how much it was.  What do you think of this one?  Would you have bought it?


So lots of fabric purchased this month, but that's what makes my world go round.  :)  I think I'm going to start listing some vintage items in my etsy shop again so I'm sure I'll start purchasing more dishes & housewares & such.  Did you find anything amazing this month?

11 comments:

A. said...

Good heck!! That mirror is fan-freakin-tastic. I have got to find something like that for our casa. Love the sheets, too (drool).

Amanda M. said...

I love EVERYTHING you bought. The mirror is TDF and the sheets are gorgeous and yes, I'd totally have bought that last one.
I went to GW today and found 2 chairs for $6.99 each that are really unique kitchen chairs that I am going to repaint and add seat cushions to. I am so cheap that I normally would not want to spend $6.99 on a GW chair, but these had so much potential. :-)
Love your blog so much!

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

I posted an awesome pyrex dish today, but it wasn't at Goodwill... so I paid too much! But I really, really wanted it :)
I love that mirror. Love it. You are totally justified in talking about it all the time!!

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

Ha, I realized my blog hopping was taking a break from making a skirt from thrifted herringbone. Perfect for Winter.
I'm only taking a break because my 18-month-old took off with my waistband facings and I can't find them anywhere!
Sorry for the double comment- I just had to mention it ;)

the mama monster said...

i loooooooove the mirror! great find. and i have those same yellow sheets on the left. i love the colors.

Heather at Blessed Little Nest said...

that mirror is fantastic!!! great find!

.::Our Waldorf Home Mama::. said...

LoveLove Love it!!!! Yummy fabric---- sooo many things to sew!!! So little time I bet?!

~Samantha

bumblesandlu said...

That yellow sheet is probably my most favorite print ever and one of the first I ever sewed with many moons ago. I also own that last print in a pillowcase and have only ever used tiny bits of it. I'm excited to see what you turn yours into.

Martha Carolyn said...

Wow, great purchases! Yes, I would have definitely bought the last sheet!

Amber Liddle said...

I have the same sheet on the right in the picture of the three. I haven't figured out what to do with it! Love the mirror, and I know what you mean about the husband getting sick of hearing about great finds. Mine never appreciates my thriftiness :)

poindextr said...

such a pretty mirror. Do you happen to know anything about distressing an existing mirror finish? I can't say that I recall reading anything about this...

But my mind wanders....

Back to your finds - awesome! Fabric purchases are super. Yes, I think I would probably try to make an informal chair slipcover or table runner with that last little one, since I don't have kids. But little girl rompers would be cute for certain.

Good for you!! :)

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...