Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Gingerbread House






Oh this gingerbread house makes me giggle when I look at it.  We bought the gingerbread house kit from the bakery that works with our food co-op.  That's the bakery that makes the best bread in the world & I'm not sure what I'm going to do if they ever quit making that delicious 9 Grain bread or if we move to a place where it's not available because I don't want to eat any other bread anymore since that delicious bread has come into my life.  (How's that for a run on sentence?)

Anyhow, I started building the house but apparently I mixed my icing incorrectly (too wet?) because the house was not holding & just fell apart.  So I started again this time connecting just a couple pieces at a time & allowing them to dry before adding more weight.  All was working well & I only had one half of the roof & the chimney left to attach.  I was cooking dinner & picking up the house & talking to Dylan on the phone & when I went back to attach that last half of the roof, I couldn't find it anywhere!!  It didn't take to long to realize that the dog had knocked it off the counter top & eaten it.  The whole thing!  We couldn't blame the dog though, the gingerbread smelled amazing!  So in place of our missing roof piece, I hot glued a piece of cardboard.  It turned out the be the perfect fix. 

Then when we were decorating the house the girls were just so funny & cute. 

Claire would hold a piece of candy & say, "I need some butter on this."
Then we'd all say, "It's not butter!  Ha ha."
And Sadie would say, "Yeah, it's pudding."
Then we'd all laugh harder & Dylan and I would have to say, "You guys are silly.  It's called frosting."

And the most funny part is that this whole exchange repeated 2 or 3 times.  They weren't even trying to be silly!  They just honestly kept calling it the wrong thing. 

Anyway, I've decided that decorating a gingerbread house it such an exciting thing for little kids.  They get to just go at it & be creative.  Plus they get to eat candy & lick frosting off their fingers.  And it's an activity that the whole family can get involved in.  I felt so happy when we were all working together & enjoying each other so much.  I think decorating a gingerbread house may become a new holiday tradition for us.  :)

5 comments:

chanel said...

again, you rock at mothering- i am not a fan of the G house. I let my mom do that tradition, im too anal about it. yours looks very cute and i want to eat that bread you were talking about, man.

Kelly Massman said...

Adorable!

Margit Rosenaa said...

Nice! and so pretty

tini-uk said...

It looks so pretty. We made our first gingerbread house this year, I had it all set up when my big girl came home from school, she spend an hour decorating it, the little one helped by quality testing the sweets. My girls keep sneeking up to it and pinching the odd chocolate button, which is quite cute (even better, when you catch your husband doing it, too). I used a mix of 250g icing sugar and an egg white for the cement, that's what my girls called it and it came close to the real thing.

Crystal Case Kelsey said...

Hahaha! Smart doggy!
That is so cool - I've not done a gingerbread house in ages. I don't think we ever even did them as children. Probably once when I was in elementary school. I prefer soft, warm, fresh gingerbread cookies. My house would fall or be eaten before it went up!

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...