Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Cleaning Your Serger


I'd been having issues with my serger & after getting super frustrated with it, I let it sit on the shelf for a few months.  I didn't know how to fix it, but I wanted it back!  So I finally gave in & took it in for a service.   The repair man noticed immediately that the timing was off.  This was due to a dull blade.  So he replaced my blades, serviced & cleaned the whole machine & I'm so happy to have her back in tip top shape.

The guy that repaired it was so cute.  He mentioned that he was super, super familiar with this Singer model & went on to tell me that it is a really great machine.  Then he went on a rant about modern day Singer machines & how people are bringing "those plastic things" into him for repairs shortly after buying them.  It made me giggle, but also made me happy that I was gifted such a nice, sturdy, old machine.

He also gave me a few tips for keeping the machine in good shape at home.  He suggested that I spray the machine out with a can of pressurized air after each use.  So if you are a dummy like me & didn't know that the machine should be cleaned after each use, go to the store & get yourself a can of air.  :)


You open up the bottom part & spray out all the fuzz & fibers & such that gather there.


Then you also spray out the tension knobs at the top.  And that's it!  Easy, right?


Finally, it helps to have a super cute cover made by a super cute friend.  This one was a Christmas gift from Maria of Blobby Farm fame.  :)

Now if I just didn't feel like falling asleep at 7:30 every night, I could get some sewing done!

This also makes me think that it's that time again for me to spring clean my sewing machine as well.

4 comments:

I♥naptime w/ Chocolate Sundaes said...

Thank you, I needed this! My grandma gave me hers and I have yet to use it. I need to clean it and start it up!! :)

New follower btw.. such a cute blog!

marisa said...

Oh good! My obsession with that can of air is paying off!

Anonymous said...

wow, soooooo boring

Nicole said...

When I took fashion class in high school, we had 2 sergers. Not many of the students had the confidence to use them, but I wanted to use those babies as often as possible! I always took super good care of them, dusting out the bottom with a little feather duster I brought in specifically for that task.
I heard from my teacher the following year, saying that my cleaning really helped them stay in working condition. The group she had that year were total slobs, and the machines had to be brought in for service several times.
Anyway, sorry for the ramble! Glad your machine is in tip top shape now.

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...