Wednesday, June 29, 2011

These Days of Ours




Spent some time looking through some old photos recently & I came to the realization that my life no longer looks like it does in these photos.  I used to have two little kids at home with me all day, every day.  They were small & needed lots of my attention.  That time has come & gone without me even realizing it.  Seems I've entered the "school age mom" era.  I guess I've been there for a while now & I can't help but feel a little sad that this young mom phase of my life has come & gone.

Now those same two kids have long legs & long hair.  Their faces are thinner & older.  They brush their own teeth & know how to play computer games.  The older one pours her own cereal & can make a peanut butter & honey sandwich for herself.  The younger one writes her name & buckles her own shoes.

This summer with them both home all day has felt like we're getting a bit of the old days back.  We feel a little cooped up & can get cranky with each other after spending all day every day together.  But now its much easier to go to the movie & go swimming & have fun outings.  And although we have difficult moments, my heart feels so full to have them with me in this way again.

But some things haven't changed, they still say the funniest things & are so cute that I can't resist hugging & kissing them lots.

If I had a nickel for every time a stranger has told me that they'll be all gown up & gone in the blink of an eye...

I guess it's pretty true.  These days they go so fast.  Something else that I know is true: I love them & I love my life because they're in it (that includes Mr. Todd as well).  I am so happy that I get to spend my days mothering & loving them.  And I will do my best to enjoy the moment that we happen to be in, even as that moment continues to change. 

4 comments:

Mrs. Sassy Crafter said...

I love this post! I also love being a mother, and if somebody gave me a penny everytime I hug and kiss my children, we would be billionares by now hehe....have a great day!!!!!

tini-uk said...

That was wonderful! I am a mum of two lovely, inspirational and totally mad girls and yes I tell myself to enjoy every moment. Every night when I check on them just before I go to bed and they look like little angels, my heart just ooverflows with love... the best job in the worls is being a mum!

Chris and Malena said...

What a great post, Candace!

Kathryn said...

Thank you for this post. Sometimes I get caught up in what I would like to be doing instead of putting that dinosaur puzzle together...again. But then I remind myself that one day they will grow up and do their own thing. :( I know one day I may even miss craziness at 4 am!

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...