Thursday, July 07, 2011

A Peek


Last weekend I had an evening alone at home while the girls were spending the night at their grandparents house & Dylan was out with the guys.  I took the opportunity to piece together the top of a quilt for our baby boy. 

I cut & pieced the squares months ago, before we even knew the baby's gender.  I wanted to make something physical that I'd have to remember those early days of pregnancy.  Those in between days, where there was so much uncertainty & excitement of what was to come.  The days where we couldn't believe all that had changed so quickly.  Years of longing & hoping & praying that I'd get pregnant had abruptly come to an end & we didn't know what to do with ourselves.  I didn't want to forget where we'd been.  I didn't want to forget that feeling of being simultaneously terrified that the pregnancy wouldn't last & so full of complete joy that our family was growing.  So I started a quilt for the baby.

I thought that I had chosen gender neutral colors, though it does lean more towards boy.  I would totally wrap a girl in this quilt though, I just love blue.  Well, the quilt never got finished in those early days & that's okay.  I was happy to finally finish the top recently.  Now I just need to get to the rest of it.  Unfortunately my neighborhood fabric store closed down & I'm still really upset about it.  This means that I have to drive across town to pick out a backing & binding fabric.  So annoying!

Anyway, I don't know if I've ever been more in love with a quilt & it's not even finished yet.  :)

6 comments:

sewshesews said...

It's so lovely! Congratulations on the baby, boys are so much fun!

Jeni said...

It's so cute! I love the colors and how simple it is!

Maybe a fun plaid vintage sheet would work for backing? I'm too lazy to piece backings anymore, hehe :)

chris said...

I've read your blog for a while. I've felt sorrow for your infertility, and joy when you shared the news of your new babe. I love seeing all those feelings stitched into this quilt. I am so very happy for you and your family.

Lynne said...

Beautiful! I love your colour choices. I find it has a classic look with the solids. Love it!

smallgrapes said...

Seriously lovely. Nice color choices!

Marty J. Christopher said...

I remember you tweeting about making this! Can't wait to see the result. : O )

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...