Sunday, September 11, 2011

Back to School Dinner with the Young Women


At church, I am lucky enough to hold the job of Young Women Secretary.  Which means that I get to work with the 12-18 year old girls.  We have activities once a week.  A lot of times the girls plan the activities & we all work together to see them through.  This gives them opportunities to learn new skills & such.  Well, this last week the leaders decided that we would take on the whole activity & we held a Back to School Dinner for the girls.


I took on much of the decorating.  My sister-in-law, Lilia, gave me the great idea to tear pages from an old dictionary & sew them together to make these overhead garlands. 


I made some hanging flowers out of brown paper lunch bags using this Martha Stewart tutorial.


We ran paper streamers down the middle of the tables & then topped with this & that for decoration.  My contributions are the little chalkboards & the stacks of books.



We served them chicken salad sandwiches in lunch sacks with chocolate milk in little cartons.  For dessert we had apples dipped in caramel sauce.  I talked to them about ways to have a great school year...being a good friend to everyone, dressing modestly, praying often, standing up for what they believe & choosing to be happy each day.  They wrote down some goals for themselves & we gave them each a little note with their mothers hope for them this school year.


It was really fun.  I don't think these girls even understand how much I adore them.  I love that this church service opportunity has given me the chance to get to know them so well.

5 comments:

chanel said...

wowzers! your YW are soooooooo lucky to have YOU!
that is awesome.

{lizzythebotanist} said...

super cute idea. well done. i'm filing this just in case i ever get to serve in YW.

Michelle said...

Very cute!
And p.s. good luck with Babeh! hope he comes soon for you all :)

Stacia said...

I love the decor. I would of loved to attend something like when I was that age. Hope your feeling well and getting to relax before baby comes!

Michelle said...

This is sooo cute. You make me want to be a better YW leader! I'm an advisor for the laurels and I am learning to love my calling.

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...