Saturday, September 24, 2011

One Week


Not too long ago I looked like this sitting at my desk.   The view is a little different these days.  :)

Finn is such a good baby.  He sleeps so well & doesn't need to be held in order to sleep.  So he hasn't been in our bed much at all.  Which means that I've been able to sleep pretty hard.  Not having to worry about where he is in the bed.  I'm actually somewhat enjoying late night feedings with him.  Well, when I can keep my eyes open it's pretty enjoyable.  It's like my own little love fest with him.  I get to snuggle him & breathe him in while the rest of the house is quiet & still & it's pretty special.  I start feeling pretty mushy sometimes during those late night feedings.  I feel so full of love for my little baby & for my bigger babies & for my hot husband.  :)  I'm pretty sure that I'm the luckiest girl in the world.  :)

I am amazed at the human body.  I can't believe how quickly it heals.  I am feeling pretty good.  So good that I am taking less & less of my pain meds.  I still have to remind myself that I just had major surgery just over a week ago.  Sometimes I push myself too hard & I feel it later. 

Breastfeeding is a full time job.  Seems like that's all I do these days.  Breastfeeding has always been pretty difficult for me.  We gave Sadie a bottle pretty early on & it was impossible to get her to breastfeed after that.  She was no dummy.  She wanted her food the quick & easy way.  With Claire, I breastfed her for a couple months but she failed to gain weight.  They call it "failure to thrive".  So she switched to formula.  With Finn, I have been so determined to make breastfeeding work!  Luckily he's a good little eater.  I took him to the doctor last week for a weight check & he had lost one pound which is more than they like to see, so were are doing a little supplementing with formula.  I've been so worried that introducing the bottle will make him turn against me.  So far that's not the case & we are hoping that we can bump his weight back up quickly.

Some things I don't want to forget:

Both of the girls loved their big sister bags that I gave them in the hospital.  They took them to school the next day in their backpacks & wore their "big sister" buttons.

Sadie wants so badly for me to bring the baby into her class to show everybody.

Claire calls nipples "nibbles".

Whenever Claire is around Finn or holds him she says, "Hi Finney!  It' me, big sissy!!" and she kisses his feet & his hands & his nose.  I think she enjoys finally being a big sister.

Claire has been given the job of being my "bender".  She bends down to pick things up off the ground for me.  She takes this job pretty seriously & feels a real sense of being needed.  It's so good for me because I really do need a "bender".

We say that Dylan has the magic touch with Finn.  He can calm him down like nobody else...besides me.  I love that Finn knows both his mama & his daddy.  It is adorable to see Dylan with his baby.  He is so in love with Finn.

Dylan gets 2 weeks of paternity leave & it has been amazing to have him around.  I am so much less stressed.  Really wishing he could be around like this all the time.

I looooove having a newborn.  This stage has always been pretty difficult for me.  But this time around with Dylan here to help, I am less exhausted & enjoying this baby so much!

11 comments:

memmens said...

Wow that all brings tears to my eyes! My little boy is 2yrs in a couple of weeks and I'm finding myself reflecting alot on 2yrs ago and the joy he brought with him(he has 2 big sisters too!). They are so adorable but grow so fast it is so lovely to read of your joy! Every blessing on you and your family.

Amber Liddle said...

Hang in there with the breastfeeding!! Otis was so early, we had to supplement with bottles, even pumped milk, but I kept at it and he eventually went to exclusively bf-ing for six months.

So glad to hear you're doing well and i love hearing stories of big sisters. ingrid really thrives as a helper, she also has been my bender :) what a great job to give a little kid!

grace said...

Yay! I'm so glad to hear you, baby, and your family is doing well!
I hope you continue to heal quickly and that little Finn can gain weight while sticking with breastfeeding.
P.S. Finn's hair is so cute!

Marty said...

What a lil cutie! I definitely understand wanting to breast feed him as long as possible. There's just something so special about those moments, like you say. When that little head is nodding but still trying so furiously to nurse :)

Happy things are going so great for you!

chanel said...

sounds pretty much like heaven in the todd house hold! sooooo happy for you. and nibbles made me LAUGH HARD, she is so dang cute!!!
my goodness.

Irina said...

Congratulations again! he's beautiful! Good luck with the breastfeeding this time. Good support from a group is really valuable and your determination too. All the best!

skirtastop said...

aaah...sweet newborns. good luck with nursing, hope he keeps it up! the story about claire being your "bender" is so cute, and isn't it great seeing a daddy with his son? my heart melts every time i see my guys together. :)

define1lady said...

Yay for little Fin and a helping hand from Dylan! Congrats to you both. He's so precious!

Liz R. said...

i always felt like 3rd time was the charm for sure! There is this wonderful honeymoon period that is just the best. So grateful to get to experience that part of life for sure. And with boys - Oh! I could totally see how mama's boys are made! Enjoy soaking it all in.

Lindsay said...

Hi Candace... I just found you blog through Rachel Denbow's. Not sure if this will help at all, but when my baby girl was recently born, I used a supplemental system that hooked a tiny, thin tube up to the nipple. This way you could feed the baby formula while they were still "nursing" and also getting some wholesome breast milk at the same time. I am not sure of the exact name of this system, but I know it was made by Medela. It was great in those first weeks when they can't be introduced to the bottle for fear that they will refuse nursing.

Congrats!

Jonua Besnard said...

Congratulations on your new baby!

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...