Thursday, October 20, 2011

Our New Normal

We're slowly starting to settle into a routine around here.  I admit that I thought I'd be able to pick back up multitasking all my previous duties of mothering + housework + shop work with ease, but I guess I've completely forgotten how time consuming a little baby can be.  I am happy these days when I can get a load of laundry done & a meal on the table.  I keep reminding myself that things will quickly change.  Before I know it, this baby will turn into a little boy & then a big boy.  These moments are to be enjoyed.  Everything will slowly fall back into place.  I don't need to stress myself out about what I'm not getting done.  I just need to do the best that I can.

It's also been overwhelming to make sure that I am giving my 3 littles + my husband all that they need.  Life is a bit more messy & less organized than usual, but I am rolling with it & enjoying this time.  I'm trying to keep any negativity out & pat myself on the back for every little accomplishment, like getting showered & dressed for the day. 

Finn had a well check & we discovered that once again his weight gain was not where we'd like it to be.  I just don't produce enough milk for my babies to get fat!  So we are increasing the amount of formula that we supplement.  Breastfeeding is such a huge sacrifice.  I've been working so hard at nursing this baby.  So naturally I felt very defeated & sad.  I was ready to just give up & switch to the bottle completely.  (I can be a bit dramatic at times!)  But I'm not throwing in the towel just yet.  I am drinking lots of water & taking some supplements & trying to get this boy as much of my milk as possible & then adding just enough formula to help plump him up.  Once again, I just have to do the best that I can. 

I am so happy with my life right now.  There is nothing like:

- a soft, sweet smelling baby making cute little noises in his sleep. 
- a 4 year old with big brown eyes that reads me books with her best story time librarian impression while I sit feeding the baby.
- a sweet 7 year old that offers up her $3 tooth fairy money for a new jug of milk when we tell her that the milk she poured but didn't drink was a waste of money.
- a good looking husband that helps with chores & takes a turn getting up at night with the baby without me having to ask.


Cristin said...

really sweet post :-) My little guy is 18mo now so if we have baby #2... I'll have to revert back to what you're experiencing right now. But its all temporary. that was my mantra 17mo ago :-)
Cute little guy you have!

chris said...

Finn looks adorable. Congrats on seeing joy in the little things. It is such a short time.

Teri said...

Hang in there. Don't give up nursing. Don't give THAT up. Don't be so hard on yourself. Whatever milk of yours that baby gets, whether it be "too little" is way way better than no milk of yours at all. You are giving your baby the best milk in the world for him. Don't give up...too important to him :)

Amber Liddle said...

I also did not produce enough milk to make my kids fat but I did it proudly for nine months anyway! Keep it up, it's hard but so worth it :)

Auntie M said...

What a cutie pie. I love babies boys and skinny baby boys! Not all babies are chubby. That is why there is a wide range on the scale. Mine were both between 5 and 20% until they were at least two. Now, they are above 60. A great site with some info on milk supply is:

Best of luck. Love how you are keeping priorities in line! Good momma.

Olivia said...

Don't throw in the towel! Breastfeeding is definitely a sacrifice because some days you may feel like the only thing you have accomplished is feeding your little guy. He is so worth it, though.

Also, it is totally normal for babies to lose some birth weight when breastfed. Don't feel defeated! Be confident that you ARE doing the best that you can.

Your family is gorgeous! Congrats on your newest addition!

Tez said...

Ah I remember the days that just brushing my hair and feeding my babe was a big accomplishment! Good for you, keeping your chin up and taking each moment as it comes.
I'm really happy that you're not throwing in the breast feeding towel! Every little bit counts.
I know you're busy with 3 littles and a husband, but is there anyway you could go on a marathon, milk increase campaign? My midwife showed me how to do it and I did it with my oldest daughter and while it was a lot of work, it did work and we continued nursing until she decided she was done, when she was 17 months. If you are interested in trying it, let me know.

carlyle3 said...

Eat more oatmeal!! It can increase your milk supply - or it worked for me. The Oatmeal Lactation cookies are the best, too, and I'm sure everyone will love them!

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...