Monday, November 07, 2011

Hospital Report

I debated sharing the news that Finn would be having surgery...mainly because of the location.  Will that be embarrassing for him later?  He can't help it.  It just happened.  And my blog will totally be deleted by the time he's a teenager, right?

The night of fasting went better than expected.  I fed Finn right up until 1am & then he was cut off.  He slept for a bit & then when he woke he wasn't as mad as I thought he'd be to not be offered food.  We got to the hospital at 5:30.  Never would I have guessed that I'd be back at the same hospital where I delivered Finn exactly 7 weeks later.  We hung out in pre op until the surgeon took him back at 7:30.

My stomach was in knots thinking about my little 9 lbs. baby in the operating room.  All I could do was hope that all would go well & that he wouldn't have any reactions to the anesthesia, but turning complete control over to the doctor was physically painful for me.

About 40 minutes later we got word that all had gone well with the surgery.  I went back to the recovery room to see my little baby sleeping with an adult size oxygen mask on his face & tubes all over the place.  It was so heartbreaking to see him like that, but I felt so relived that he looked so healthy otherwise.

The nurse & the anesthesiologist told us that he had his tongue sticking out the whole time & they thought that was pretty funny.  We were able to hold him feed him Pedialyte.  I wanted to rip that tape & IV out of his arm.  It looked so uncomfortable.

After a not at all restful night in the hospital, Finn & I were back home in time to kiss Sadie before she left for school.  Claire had him coloring in no time.

I know that many people have children that go through much more invasive surgeries at even younger ages, but this was still very scary for us.  I can't even imagine being in & out of the hospital on a regular basis.  My heart goes out to those that do.

Thank you so much for your thoughts & prayers.  We feel so blessed that Finn is doing well.  I am convinced that the Lord was looking over us & our little boy. 


My Reality said...

So glad that all went well. I think for any parent, any procedure no matter how big or small would have your stomach in knots, they are after all, your baby!!

Anonymous said...

So glad all is well. That's so scary, and my heart went out to you! Take care and get some extra snuggles in with him now that he's all yours again. :)

Krista said...

Our son had to have surgery when he was 7 months old to repair an undescended testicle. I was terrified and didn't think we'd be able to get through it. It turns out it was an easy day and quick recovery. The hard part was anticipating it. So I understand what your last few days have been like!

I'm so glad all went well. Enjoy your little guy :)

Faddict said...

Glad it went well! He looks such a happy chappy even with his little splinted IV arm!

chanel said...

what an experience! soooo glad he is all better!
coloring and everything- too cute!

ingrid said...

I am so glad it all went well and your adorable little man is home and healthy.

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...