Friday, January 13, 2012

Ruby's Yard Sale

It started out with a little text message to my 4 sisters: "Hey, do you want to combine all our stuff & have a yard sale?  We can give all the money to Russell & Caitlin for medical expenses."

The responses came back, "Yes!", "I'm in!", "Love this idea!"

We gathered our own no longer used items & then asked our friends to donate anything they we ready to part with.

We posted it on our blogs & on Facebook.

Donations in bags & boxes started showing up outside my parents garage.  Some of us drove around collecting the offerings.

We started to run out of room for all of it.  We all wondered what we had gotten ourselves into.  We were overwhelmed.  People were so generous!  They were bringing really good, quality items. 

There really wasn't even enough time to sort through everything.  We did a good amount of sorting the day before.  All of us siblings + our spouses & our children were involved in the work & we definitely needed all those hands.

We were surprised by some helpers that showed up early Saturday morning to help us with the sale.  They were much needed!  We were continuing to put items out until mid morning.  None of the items were priced.  Shoppers would just need to ask us how much.  We wore yellow caution tape tied around our arms to indicate that we were the workers.

The people stared showing up to shop.  The street was filled with parked cars.  Caitlin's dad drove by & said he counted 40 cars.  There were gave me $10 for an item when I priced it at $5 because she saw that we had a cause.  There were friends...some we hadn't seen in a while.  We found moments when we could chat & laugh.  It was busy & happy & really so much fun.

The kids set up a bake sale table.  They were completely adorable.  You could see how happy they were to have full responsibility running that table.  I'd hear the little one's say, "This is Ruby's yard sale."  I can't wait for the day when they all get to run & play with her.

We worked our tails off.  We way exceeded my goal as far as funds raised.  We could not have done all this without the help of so many.

This was such an amazing experience for me & for my family.  I am so very happy that we got to be a part of this.  Thank you, thank you, thank you to all who were involved.  Whether you donated, worked or shopped.....Thank you!  People are so good & we can accomplish so much when we come together.

My parents are up in Boise right now visiting Russell, Caitlin & little Ruby.  Word is that Ruby has now doubled her birth weight.  She now weighs 2 lbs. 8 oz.  We are celebrating that!!


Teri said...

This is such an inspirational story. You are an inspiration! I absolutely love it. Many people talk about doing something to make a difference but few actually commit and do it. Congratulations. You did good :)

chanel said...

yay!! gives me chills.

and that tf note is to die for! precious! i bet she was so upset when that tooth fell down the drain! toothfaires are the best at understanding those life moments!

New Duds said...

tears!!! love the story and I am so glad you had such a great turnout. I have to say as it is snowing here I cant imagine doing a yard sale in the winter, I love the photos of the sunny weather :)

MommaWard said...

Wow! Baby Ruby will feel so awesome later on when she sees how many people loved her without knowing her first. Yea you for getting it going!!

Tanya said...

Very heartening story. Good on you and your family for doing what you can to provide support of all kinds.

Amber Liddle said...

Oh, so sweet!! I am so glad it worked out well and you had such a good turnout! And good for Ruby for gaining so much weight--it means a ton to have that extra pound on her. Good luck and tell your family a stranger in WI who's been through something similar is thinking of them :)

~ Kim ~ said...

That is wonderful. Good to hear she is putting on weight. The poster of Ruby made me cry. Very sweet.

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...