Friday, February 03, 2012

Things I Learned in January


Body issues & diet:  Everybody has body issues.  I thought I was past it, but perhaps I was just focusing on other things.  When it kept coming up in conversations with different female friends, I began to think of my own body more often.  One night I broke down & cried to Dylan, "I hate my body!"

His response was & always is, "I love your body."  Then he said, "We're working on it.  We'll make it better."  And for some reason I didn't take offense that he thought my body needed improvements, but I felt happy that he phrased it like we're in it together.  I did after all just have a baby.  There is work that needs to be done.

As of January 1st, I've changed my diet & I'm happy to report that after a month I've lost 7 lbs.

What seems to work for me is paying very close attention to carbs.  I am eating way, way, way less of them.  Any carbs that I eat are good ones & I eat them early in the day so that my body can burn them off before bedtime.  Lunch is quite often a salad & a typical dinner is chicken with salad & vegetables.  I'm not drinking soda & I'm not eating sugary treats.  We've began making lots of smoothies.  Our current favorite is banana, mango, blueberry & spinach with a little orange juice.  My cravings have disappeared & I am feeling good.  Oh I still eat some bad foods every now & then, but rarely & I make sure that when I do it's only one serving.

Baby Ruby:  My parents went up to visit Russell & Caitlin & Ruby a few weeks ago.  We get really quick little reports from my brother quite often in regards to Ruby & they are always pretty positive.  We don't hear all the details & it feels to us like Ruby is the most amazing baby ever.  Well, she is the most amazing baby ever, but it doesn't mean that things are easy for her.  Miracles are happening & she is beating the odds.  Their family continues to need prayers & we continue to say them.  I'm grateful for all of our friends & internet buddies that continue to pray for her as well.  I know it works.

Caitlin has started updating her blog again with reports of Ruby's status.  I am loving it!

Family members deserve respect:  I don't have much explaining for this.  Seems pretty simple.  I grew up in a family where fighting was discouraged.  My Dad does not like for us to raise our voices to each other.  I'm grateful for that & I like the peace.  I've learned that relationships with family members need constant work.  We're either working to build those relationships, or we're letting them fall by the wayside.

Balancing family & work life:  It is just impossible.  I am completely giving up trying to be graceful at it.  My house is a disaster 90% of the time & I am just going to give up on stressing about it.  There.  The whole internet now knows that I have trouble keeping it together.

Forget me not:  I attended a Relief Society Womens Conference at my church this month.  The whole conference was based on this talk by Dieter Uchtdorf.  It is a required read for women.  I felt so uplifted from that conference & now I want to read this talk every month to remind myself to be patient with myself, to be happy right now & that the Lord loves me.

Motherhood:  We all read this post called Don't Carpe Diem didn't we?  It is an awesome article & if you haven't read it, I recommend that you do.  So often this month I just wanted to collapse under all that we have to do as parents of 3 kids.  Almost as soon as my mind would go to that place, I would be filled with an appreciation of all that we have.  Our lives are so full & Dylan and I are making it work the best that we can.  Sure there are a lot of times that we feel like our heads are going to blow off, but I am so, so, so happy that we are in it together & that we have the kids that we do.  I love my family.

What did you learn last month?


4 comments:

kristin said...

Hugs, Candace. As mamas I think we're ALWAYS learning and growing. Take care.

Kandis Smith said...

Hey Candace!! You look so great! I'm glad I found your blog! Not sure if you remember me--Kandis, we worked together at Melaleuca! Lovin' everything you make girl! :) ((hugs))

Amber Liddle said...

Thank you for admitting that the balancing act is impossible!! I have come to terms with that--my house is what goes by the wayside to make room for my kids and my etsy shops. And really, in ten years will we remember the toys and laundry everywhere or how much fun we had watching our babies grow?? Keep up the good work :)

Rae said...

Dude. I love this post. Thanks for always keeping it real!

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...