Monday, March 05, 2012

Sewn: Highchair Seat Cover


Made a new seat cover for the old high chair last week!  This is a project that was supposed to be done before Finn was born, but I never got around to it.  Also, I think I was a little intimidated by the project & not really sure if I could pull it off.


We received this high chair as a gift when Sadie was born over 7 years ago.  When we pulled it out of storage this time, the cover was useless.  It had been exposed to too much heat so the fabric on the back was just disintegrating.   Since it's come time for me to start feeding Finn solids, I had to get a new cover made. 


Of course I could have gone out & bought a whole new highchair (a more modern & well designed one), but I like to live by the use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without rule.


So I just jumped into it, using the old cover as a pattern & a thrifted blue striped sheet as my fabric.  It has a layer of batting on the back & I used yellow double fold bias tape for the edges.

I'm not going to lie...I am really proud of myself for sewing this.  I felt awesome when I finished it.  I guess I shouldn't doubt my sewing skills.  :)

And here is the big boy sitting in the highchair:



He really is such a beast.  Here's Claire in the same chair (with the old cover) at 5 months & at 7 months.  She was my 50th percentile baby.  Finn will be 6 months in a little over a week.  :)

11 comments:

Amber Liddle said...

Wow! Great job! I would also be intimidated by that project but it turned out great. And holy peanut baby that Claire was! She looks so much tinier than your hefty boy :)

Candace said...

Thanks, Amber! I know right, Claire was & still is my littlest. Sade was a big baby, but my photos of her are harder to get to. I need to compare baby pics of all 3 to see just how similar or different they look!

New Duds said...

you did such a great job on that! Its super cute and fits like a glove. Its always great to see people 'making it work' instead of just buying new too, very inspiring. Thanks!

chanel said...

tHAT IS SOOOOOOOO AWESOME!!!!
Waaaay better than a new one. LOVE the contrast in colors!!
And Finn is PERFECT! Such a BOY!

Marmot Mom said...

He's not a beast, Candace, he's just buff!! The cover is adorable---such great boy colors! Nice job, Mom :)

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Great job! I want to do this; ours is almost dead. Maybe I will give it a try.

Rebeccarama said...

i clicked on the picture of claire, and i think you should have made this cover before! yours is way cuter!

Melissa Everett said...

oh that looks way better than the old one. Plus that blue is perfect for Finn!!

Lauralee said...

You should be proud! I wouldn't have known you'd made it if you hadn't told me! It looks professional. So so cute too, you always pick the best color combos.

saddlesinc said...

Sofa Furniture Manufacturers
GOODWILL Hydraulics Pvt. Ltd. is situated in Bangalore, is one of the leading manufacturers of Hydraulics fittings, Hose Assemblies, Hydraulic Adaptors, Paint Spray Hose And Welding/Lpg Natural Gas Hose. We are providing timely delivery of quality products and services at competitive rates.

For more details visit :http://www.ghplhose.com

saddlesinc said...

Sofa Furniture Manufacturers
GOODWILL Hydraulics Pvt. Ltd. is situated in Bangalore, is one of the leading manufacturers of Hydraulics fittings, Hose Assemblies, Hydraulic Adaptors, Paint Spray Hose And Welding/Lpg Natural Gas Hose. We are providing timely delivery of quality products and services at competitive rates.

For more details visit :http://www.ghplhose.com

Post a Comment

I looove comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...